Rhizome storage question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbandit

Reaction score
I just received my rhizomes in the mail today but it's going to be a few days before I get them into the ground. My question is how do I store them? Just leave them be? Put them in a cool place? Refrigerated or freezer? I'm a first time grower so any info is much appreciated.

I'd skip the fridge personally and just stick them in a bag with wet paper towels loosely and on your windowsill with the bag open to airflow. Pour the excess water out of the bag. They'll start to grow a little before you plant them.

I'd skip the fridge personally and just stick them in a bag with wet paper towels loosely and on your windowsill with the bag open to airflow. Pour the excess water out of the bag. They'll start to grow a little before you plant them.

The fridge helps them stay somewhat dormant so they aren't expending stored reserves on growth for nothing.

The only concern is mold growth beyond a weeks storage.

Agreed! By doing this you create a greenhouse effect which helps it begin to grow roots and sprout. It's like giving it a headstart.

Back