Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewpubs That Suck

Old 05-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
jfrizzell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Brewpubs That Suck

Don't you hate it when you go to a brewpub and order a beer only to get a beer that just isn't that good?

I went to a place over the weekend and ordered their IPA. I had to send it back it was so bad. The beer either had an infection or their lines needed cleaned badly.

The second beer was just ok. Both mine and my wife's beer were fairly flat and had no head whatsoever. They obviously don't know how to balance their system.

It was just sad. If you're going to run a brewpub, at least bother to know what the hell you're doing.

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

Old 05-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
turkeyjerky214
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Whenever I travel, I always do research on the brewpubs and breweries I plan to visit. Unfortunately, this past January when I was in Winter Park, CO, there was nothing decent nearby. I bit the bullet and took a chance on one in town. It wasn't bad, but it was rather bland. Also, they served it in frozen mugs so I had to wait for a pretty long time for it to warm up before I could even taste anything.

Lagering: Vienna Lager

Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Most people suck at their jobs. That's a fact no matter what industry it is. Most restaurants suck. Most brewpubs suck. Most people don't really care if their beer is bad, so the sucky brewpub can usually stay in business.

I agree that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, but for some brewpubs they just see the high margin on house-made beer. Never-mind the additional capital expenses and labor.

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 05-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Lunchball
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

On one hand, it does suck, but on the other hand, it makes me feel good that I can brew better beer.
People Like This 
Old 05-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyjerky214 View Post
Also, they served it in frozen mugs so I had to wait for a pretty long time for it to warm up before I could even taste anything.
There's a sports bar near me that serves all beers in frozen schooners. I remember loving that 10 years ago when I was ordering Coors Light, but when I order a Stone IPA I don't want it to come to me partially frozen. Other than that it's a great place, I just need to remember to ask for a room temp glass.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Yeah, there's a few sub-par brewpubs in Metro Detroit. But it balances out by the great ones, like Dragonmead.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

I had this happen at a local restuarant. Got my beer completely flat, hold it up to the light, not one bubble. I tell them and order a different beer. Completely flat. You would think after showing them the first one was flat they would look at the second one before bringing it out. The waitress said she had the "GUY" check it and every thing was OK. I ordered a bottle, and havent beer back since.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

There was a thread last week about a brewpub in Santa Rosa, CA. It was determined that they don't, in fact, suck.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I ALWAYS get tasters/tasting flight if it's a brewery I have never been too.....I'd rather have a few ozs of **** beer, not 16.
TobiasIsQueenMary Likes This 
Old 05-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
BootstrapBill
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The one in Santa Rosa was Russian River which makes awesome beer anyways. I think that was more a complaint about them trying to make money off of people. Which it was confirmed that it was a "business" that was supposed to try to make money. I am about to move to Seattle and am pretty excited for the brewpubs up there. I am currently in Chico where Sierra Nevada definitely takes very special care with serving there stuff properly.

Notable Empties: Pecan Porter, NorthWestern Pale Ale, Double IPA, Red IPA, Amber