Mistreated Beer - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Mistreated Beer

Old 05-31-2012, 04:47 AM   #1
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Palmer, MA
Liked 2089 Times on 1810 Posts

In a rush to get a couple kegs on my Memorial Day camping (RV) trip, I really hurried a Centennial Blond, kegging 7 days after brewing. The brew day itself was not great, as I did it before work while bottling some hard lemonade.

Don't know why, but I decided to strain the wort through a cheese straining bag that was dangling in the mouth of my Better Bottle. There was lots of spillage and hands all in the wort, trying to compact the hop junk enough to get the bag out. Dog was involved, and I think the cat also showed up.

Anyway, I kegged the beer and chill on CO2 for a day or so. The husband saw my kegs near the camper and helpfully loaded them in the bed of the truck on their sides. A couple hours later, I set up my new $19 trash can kegerator at the campsite, but realize two kegs won't fit without better planning and send one home with my son. Wrong keg. I'm left with the Belgian Coriander-Less Wit that I don't like. OK, ignore the beer and drink the crazy hard lemonade.

My son forgot to leave the beer in my kegorator. His fiancee likely drove around a couple of days in 90 degree weather with the keg of CB lying on its side in the back of her vehicle. But it was on my porch when I got home tonight, so I stuck it in the kegerator for chilling.

So, is this beer going to really suck? I'll probably drink it anyway.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Liked 201 Times on 147 Posts

It might have had some time to pick up some funk the hard way.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonaZamboni View Post
So, is this beer going to really suck? I'll probably drink it anyway.
Yes, it will suck. But some braniac will tell you if you let it age for 3 months all the horrible off flavors will magically disappear...

_

Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
davis119
Recipes 

Mar 2011
lopatcong, nj
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450

Yes, it will suck. But some braniac will tell you if you let it age for 3 months all the horrible off flavors will magically disappear...

_
Cant tell if this is sarcastic or an actual shot at you know who But no one says they will magically go away. Just that don't dump a beer at first taste let it go for a few months then try it again what will it hurt.... maybe you'll get lucky and you'll have drinkable beer...
Unless this is the only keg the OP has and needs for the next batch

Old 05-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5523 Times on 4673 Posts

Six months will do it. Four if you do the chanting and have a claw from a Teratornis.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
TyTanium
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 556 Times on 391 Posts

May want to look up some "cooking with beer" recipes.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Palmer, MA
Liked 2089 Times on 1810 Posts

Yup. It does suck. It may be slightly less sucky after I have a few glasses of the Wit, which, due to my frugal ways, must be consumed entirely, even if I don't like it.

I gotta make a habit of marking the kegs as soon as they're filled.