Stone IPA Clone Comparison - You pick the real one! - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stone IPA Clone Comparison - You pick the real one!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #41
Beerrific
 
Beerrific's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Georgia
Posts: 5,562
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
The base recipe is already 93 IBUs...don't you kinda go past the point of amount/benefits by doubling?
Plus, he might not have just wanted more bitterness...more hops for more flavor and aroma. IMO, you can't add too many aroma hops in an IPA.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #42
brewt00l
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Doylestown, PA
Posts: 3,725
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I'm not a stock brewer. I don't like to keep anything on hand. I order what I need and what I don't use normally gets trashed, so I've developed this habit of ordering as close to exact amounts as possible and then adding any leftovers. I could only find 2 oz. bags of Warrior hops and a 4oz. bag of Cent. I love the hops, so I have no problem using them. I'd rather do that than let them sit in my fridge for a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
Plus, he might not have just wanted more bitterness...more hops for more flavor and aroma. IMO, you can't add too many aroma hops in an IPA.
My POV on this being that you get in a situation where your additions are not yielding much benefit past a certain point....not just from a bitterness perspective but a flavor and aroma perspective as well. For example you put a ton of pepper on a french fry to the point where you only taste pepper....adding more pepper isn't adding more "pepper flavor" just adding more physical pepper.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #43
Beerrific
 
Beerrific's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Georgia
Posts: 5,562
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
My POV on this being that you get in a situation where your additions are not yielding much benefit past a certain point....not just from a bitterness perspective but a flavor and aroma perspective as well. For example you put a ton of pepper on a french fry to the point where you only taste pepper....adding more pepper isn't adding more "pepper flavor" just adding more physical pepper.
Yes but you can add other flavors of pepper!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #44
brewt00l
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Doylestown, PA
Posts: 3,725
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
Yes but you can add other flavors of pepper!
While related, that's a whole 'nother direction of discussion

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #45
gfranks7807
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Denton, Texas
Posts: 34

Hey Ed - Have you tought about swapping out the Warrior for Magnum hops? I noticed on the Stone website they mentioned that they use Magnum hops for their bittering.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #46
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,914
Liked 336 Times on 169 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gfranks7807
Hey Ed - Have you tought about swapping out the Warrior for Magnum hops? I noticed on the Stone website they mentioned that they use Magnum hops for their bittering.
Not really. I may do some experimenting later, but this recipe ain't broke. It turned out a very tasty IPA. That's one of my goals in brewing is tasty brews that are consistant, batch after batch. So far, my hefe, kolsch, & haus have reached that phase. They all taste great and are consistant in flavor, aroma, appearance, etc. I'm adding this IPA to my standard line of brews as it's a winner and so far everyone who's tried it agrees. Hats off to AHS for a great recipe! Here's the link to their kit. I did the All Grain version.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:13 PM   #47
dantodd
 
dantodd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
San Carlos, CA
Posts: 1,158
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


What's the Alpha Acid on your hops?

I punched these into beersmith with their standard AA for warrior (15%) and centennial (10%) and I only came up with 33.7 IBU.

1 oz warrior at 60min
1 oz centennial at 15 and
1 oz centennial at 5

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:58 AM   #48
gfranks7807
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Denton, Texas
Posts: 34

Dantodd - I put the recipe into Beer Smith as well and it came in right on target at 77 IBU. Did you specify 5 gallons?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:01 AM   #49
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,914
Liked 336 Times on 169 Posts


Don't have that info off the top of my head. It's in my brew log back at home. I'll get to it in a week when I get back.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd
What's the Alpha Acid on your hops?

I punched these into beersmith with their standard AA for warrior (15%) and centennial (10%) and I only came up with 33.7 IBU.

1 oz warrior at 60min
1 oz centennial at 15 and
1 oz centennial at 5

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:11 AM   #50
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,393
Liked 784 Times on 434 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd
What's the Alpha Acid on your hops?

I punched these into beersmith with their standard AA for warrior (15%) and centennial (10%) and I only came up with 33.7 IBU.

1 oz warrior at 60min
1 oz centennial at 15 and
1 oz centennial at 5
Uhmmmmm.

I'm coming up with 66.2IBU's and having tasted this brew...I can promise it is way north of 34IBU's.

I think you plugged in 10 gallons.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stone IPA Clone Help BrewFrisco Extract Brewing 13 12-31-2012 02:50 PM
Arrogant Bastard Clone - Recipe Comparison noisy123 Recipes/Ingredients 3 01-05-2009 05:05 PM
Can You Pick Out the Clone? BierMuncher Recipes/Ingredients 17 08-22-2007 09:27 PM
Pick the Blue Moon clone- hah McTarnamins All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 29 08-06-2007 11:45 PM
Stone RIS clone? shlap Recipes/Ingredients 9 04-06-2007 08:37 PM


Forum Jump