Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stone IPA Clone Comparison - You pick the real one!

Old 07-23-2009, 04:53 AM   #141
Rick500
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Columbus. Nugget, second choice.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #142
skeeordye11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucer View Post
Digging up an old thread, but how did this turn out? I'm looking for a partial mash Stone clone recipe.
My appologies for the delay in reply, but this recipe turned out amazing! It's been gone a while now, but I remember it well. Sooooo good. I have since gone AG and am looking forward to brewing this again AG. Thanks again Ed for another winner!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #143
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjake View Post
My LBS doesn't sell warrior. Do you have any suggestions on which would work best as a substition for me out of what my shop provides? This is what we have here in Reno:...
I needed the same thing and found the following:

Hop Substitution Chart ::: Brew365

http://www.hopunion.com/hopunion-variety-databook.pdf

Those may be identical, I hope they would but have not compared.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #144
Brewmasters Warehouse
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just wanted to point out that this recipe is the Bee Cave IPA from EdWort's recipe drop down. Looks slightly different but most likely has to do with changes for the better.

Ed

Old 07-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #145
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 641

I just brewed my version of this recipe the other day. Stone's website currently says they use Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial. I went with all Centennial, cause that's what I have. I don't care if it's an exact clone, I just wanted something in the ballpark. I can't wait to try it.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:14 AM   #146
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I just brewed this as well this past Saturday. I followed the recipe almost exactly except I'm going to dry hop with 2oz of centennial rather than 1. Seems to have turned out well and I'm excited to try some fermentation samples.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #147
masonsjax

Recipes 

I've been drinking this for a couple of weeks. I brewed it with all Centennial, so it's def different. It came out very nice though, tons of grapefruit aroma/flavor. I picked up a bottle of the real deal to compare. Mine is a half shade darker. Stone has more hop aroma than mine. From the Stone, I'm getting a sweet, candy-like plum or berry flavor, and some definite honey notes. I actually like mine a little better, but next time I'll prob back off the 2 row by .5 lb, add .25 lb honey malt, and dry hop with 1.5 oz, possibly something more floral. I took pics of the comparison, I'll post them when I get them off the camera.

I finally uploaded the comparison pics.

Reason: Adding pics

Old 10-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #148
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
I've been drinking this for a couple of weeks. I brewed it with all Centennial, so it's def different. It came out very nice though, tons of grapefruit aroma/flavor. I picked up a bottle of the real deal to compare. Mine is a half shade darker. Stone has more hop aroma than mine. From the Stone, I'm getting a sweet, candy-like plum or berry flavor, and some definite honey notes. I actually like mine a little better, but next time I'll prob back off the 2 row by .5 lb, add .25 lb honey malt, and dry hop with 1.5 oz, possibly something more floral. I took pics of the comparison, I'll post them when I get them off the camera.

I finally uploaded the comparison pics.

Another late reply to this -- I haven't made this yet (on my list), but was also going to make with all centennial, as I just got alot of it. Personally, I think Stone IPA (the standard stuff) is a little light in color, so I think Edworts will be better. IMHO, a good IPA needs a little something darker/more malty to hold a substantial hoppiness than what Stone does in their standard IPA, which is lighter.

So what were you thinking to get more "floral"? Cascade?

Reading this thread, it seem alot of people are concerned about substituting something different for the "bittering" (60 minute boil) addition. Does that really make much difference, as long as the same IBUs are acheived?

Also, I reading through this thread, I don't think EdWort ever answered the total IBUs some people asked. Seems like one wouldn't get to the 70+ range with the recipe. Comment?

Old 10-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #149
masonsjax

Recipes 

For more floral, yeah, I was thinking of Cascades.
As for bittering, I used brewing software (qbrew in linux) to figure out how much to use. The bitterness was dead on with the authentic Stone IPA. It doesn't look like I saved the file, or at least I can't find it, so I'm not sure how much I used, or what the calculated IBU was.

Also, I think most people are only substituting the bittering additions because of what they have on hand. Bittering additions do affect the flavor a little too, so changing it up can affect the final product a little.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #150
webbie99
Recipes 

Due to time restraints I was able to mash this for 90 min. but only able to boil about 75 min. Do you think this will be an issue? Everything else was pretty much right on. I did lose a little temp. in the long mash.

Webie