Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Low Carb-forgot to stir after priming

Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Camping57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Low Carb-forgot to stir after priming

My last batch is low on carbonation. Not flat; just not very highly carbed. It's been about 4 weeks in the bottles now. I was thinking though my process just now and I realize that after I racked onto the priming solution I never stirred things up. Do you think that most of my priming solution sat in the very bottom of my bottling bucket and didn't get adequately mixed in?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
BrewinHooligan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1281 Times on 837 Posts
Likes Given: 1820

I have heard many people say the swirling of the brew from the racking mixes everything sufficiently. My experience on the other hand is that if I don't give a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon my carbonation is uneven.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping57 View Post
My last batch is low on carbonation. Not flat; just not very highly carbed. It's been about 4 weeks in the bottles now. I was thinking though my process just now and I realize that after I racked onto the priming solution I never stirred things up. Do you think that most of my priming solution sat in the very bottom of my bottling bucket and didn't get adequately mixed in?
Maybe. It might well improve in another 4.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I have never stirred my priming sugar, I only allow the gentle swirl to mix as it racks and I have never had any carbonation issues in bottling over 300 gallons of beer, some beer just takes longer to fully carbonate and condition. I would rather be patient than risk oxidizing my beer by stirring it, gently or not I consider it to be an unnecessary risk.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
P_A
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I failed to stir my last batch and 2 of the bottles exploded. All the others were fine. I racked on top of the priming sugar. My theory is that some of the sugar pooled in the bottom and I got a high concentration in the last few bottles. I stirred my other batches and didn't have any problems.