new kid on the block

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Three3Beer

Reaction score
Thought I would introduce myself.

I've been reading the forums over the last few weeks. Really impressed with all the knowledge here!

I hope to get my first kit in a few days and start brewing. For now I'll probably be extract brewing since I don't have much money to devote to this new hobby, but in the future I would like to take the step to all grain.

Looking forward to sharing my adventures as I explore the art of home brewing.

I just got back from my LHBS. Picked up a beginner's beer brewing kit (Brewer's Best Deluxe Equipment set, with a 5 gallon glass carboy) and got a beer kit (Brewer's Best American Amber).

Tomorrow is brew day, I can't wait!

So yesterday was a great experience. I successfully brewed my first batch of beer. I made a few rookie mistakes, but nothing too bad. No mistakes that will make the beer taste bad.

One mistake that I'll share is that I forgot to close the nozzle on my primary fermenter (bucket) when I poured in sanitizer. This resulted in a small puddle on my kitchen floor. I'm just glad it wasn't wort!

I added the yeast at 6 pm and as of 11:30 am I've already got a dancing airlock.

One thing I'm concerned about is that my OG was 1.072 and the recipe estimated 1.050-1.054. I'm not sure why it's so far off. Anyone have any ideas why that could have happened?

It's sometimes hard to get an accurate OG readings when doing an extract brew. It takes a while for the concentrated wort and the water you added to the fermenter to completely mix together. Id go with the OG that the directions estimated. With extracts the sugar amounts are a given. Congrats!!

Suffice it to say....I had to Google NKOTB. I thought you were talking about Chuck Yeager when you said the 'right stuff'. :)

Back