Formulating REALLY big batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
:confused: I was wondering if anyone knows how to expand a recipe out, say for example, 100 gallons. From what I understand, it is not just a matter of taking a 5 gal recipe and multiplying by 20. I guess that there is some sort of process to doing this, as well as in mass quantity food production, too. I imagine there is a term for what I am thinking of here.
Thanks alot!

Actually it is that easy. If you are brewing AG you just need to multiply everything. If you get a program like promash it makes it easier because you just enter the batch size and it does the math for you.

You'll want to make sure that the process you are using for the very large batch has a very similar efficiency to the batch size your recipe was designed for. I know that most commercial breweries have refined their process to the point where they are getting near theoretical yields from their grains. If that's the case then the recipe would have to be adjusted to make up for that. Using promash and comparing both recipes side-by-side with the correct efficiencies entered should allow you to make any of the necessary corrections.

Back