Aeration Wand - Help Me Get Gunk out of the tube! - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Aeration Wand - Help Me Get Gunk out of the tube!

Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
BrewThruYou
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Ambler
Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

Yes, this was incredibly stupid. I poked powdered peanut butter through a funnel with the non-stone end of my aeration wand. There is now some powdered PB in the stainless tube. The air stone is permanently affixed to one end, so I can't take it off and blow it out.

I tried boiling the non stone end, but the gunk is still there and it's probably not powdered any more. Short of buying a $35 replacement...any ideas?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Soulrebel
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Lakehead, Ca
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Soak in PBW for days, rinse, repeat until clean. It should breakdown any organic matter.

After it is clean, smack yourself acrossed the knuckles a few times so you remember not to do that again.

If you cant get it clean, and decide to buy a new one, you can PM me for my shipping address.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
metal850
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Baltimore, MD

Soak in oxyclean overnight. Should clean it out nicely.
Kegged:

Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
BrewThruYou
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Ambler
Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

I tried soaking it for extended periods and no dice. It's still clogged. I soaked it in PBW upside down and right-side up for several days, shaking the container every once in a while. I can poke my thermometer in there and PB residue still comes off.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Cbaddad
Recipes 

May 2011
Carlsbad, CA
Liked 110 Times on 78 Posts

This is probably already fixed one way or another, but I would have just sawed off an inch of the end with the PB on it and then attached my o2 hose to it. A bit shorter, but a lot cheaper. Maybe if someone else has this problem they can use that idea.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaddad
This is probably already fixed one way or another, but I would have just sawed off an inch of the end with the PB on it and then attached my o2 hose to it. A bit shorter, but a lot cheaper. Maybe if someone else has this problem they can use that idea.
I build my own aerating pipe/stone. Pet store carries the stones and my craft store carries the stainless pipe. Only costs me roughly $5 to build the same exact thing everyone pays $30 for. :cheers:

Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Atwater, OH
Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbycitybrewer View Post
I build my own aerating pipe/stone. Pet store carries the stones and my craft store carries the stainless pipe. Only costs me roughly $5 to build the same exact thing everyone pays $30 for. :cheers:
They carry stainless stones at your Pet Store?
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Liked 164 Times on 133 Posts

Old school coat hanger?

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz

They carry stainless stones at your Pet Store?
Nope it's a reg aerating stone. Just sanitize it before. Works perfect.