Bottles smell of clorine and bleach (smell wont go away)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe1988

Reaction score
ok in frustration to get out gunk in bottles i used a multi surface kitchen bleach based cleaner to clean then it got the gunk out but now they smell of bleach and chlorine iv rinsed with tap water over and over still smell like chlorine and bleach shoot i pitch these? :(

it was called all purpose cleaner with bleach also removes dirt grease and grime (dollar store stuff) is there any hope

ok in frustration to get out gunk in bottles i used a multi surface kitchen bleach based cleaner to clean then it got the gunk out but now they smell of bleach and chlorine iv rinsed with tap water over and over still smell like chlorine and bleach shoot i pitch these? :(

Have you tried washing them to get the bleach cleaner residue off them instead of just rinsing?

One other thing you could do is rinse the bottle with some vinegar, but do his in a open area since, it releases chlorine gas, this should remove all the bleach components, give the bottles a good rinse and it should be good to use .

If you have a sulfiter/vinerator for bottling you could fill that with soapy water and blast your bottles a bunch.

assuming that these are glass bottles, just leave them out for a few days or a week. chlorine rapidly evaporates and the smell will dissappear over not too much time.

two things

first, you need to rinse chlorine with hot water or it leaves a residue. second, you can do a brief soak in oxyclean to neutralize the bleach.

vinegar + bleach = bad idea

I would throw them all in the dishwasher with no soap added. I think the high temp will eliminate it. That's how I always disinfected my bottles and in this case I think it may serve both purposes. Then you can go straight to bottling afterward with far less manual effort.

Latest posts

Back