Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Bottle Conditioning and Carbing

Old 05-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
thanantos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Bottle Conditioning and Carbing

Sorry again for another n00b post, but I am about to bottle my second batch this week and have been doing a TON of reading on the subject of bottle conditioning here and other places around the 'tubes.

I figured I would ask you guys though if there is anything different or special about carbing/conditioning GF beers.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have found that a GF beer needs a solid 3 weeks instead of 2 to carb. I had drunk most of my first 3 gallon batch by week 3 only to discover that the beer suddenly had a stable head and pretty good taste.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 05-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
thanantos
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasidicCalvinist
I have found that a GF beer needs a solid 3 weeks instead of 2 to carb. I had drunk most of my first 3 gallon batch by week 3 only to discover that the beer suddenly had a stable head and pretty good taste.
Well that IS good to know.

How about temp? Did you carb at the same temp as your fermenter?

Old 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I find that the length of bottle conditioning is somewhat dependent on how clear the beer is. All the beers I've put through secondary fermentation turn out crystal-clear but take a good 3 weeks (minimum) to carb, at around 70F ambient temp. However, the few beers I've done with only a long primary come out cloudy but reach full carbonation in as little as a week(!) sometimes.

The one exception to this is the rose blonde I brewed recently, which cleared amazingly in primary after only a week, hit target final gravity perfectly and is decently carbonated after only a few days in the bottle! I don't know what I did to make that happen, but I wish I did so that I could repeat it!