What are you listening to (music!!!) right now? Embarrassing or not... share - Page 55 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > What are you listening to (music!!!) right now? Embarrassing or not... share

Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #541
AMonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2012
Elgin, ND
Liked 336 Times on 323 Posts

Heard some Adele on the radio this mornign. Sang along a little.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #542
headbanger
Recipes 

Apr 2011
The Hill, KY
Liked 767 Times on 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
For sure, I think that they keep getting better with age, like a fine wine. I've probably said this about every album of their's since Discouraged Ones came out, but their newest record is epic.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaNxGe0Vz3g
Ah yes, another band that used to be exceptional but sold out to the "nu" nonsense a long time ago. Not saying that their music now is not without merit, just not metal which makes it pretty much worthless to me, much like Paradise Lost.

Widely considered one of the forefathers of doom/death, not unlike the afore-mentioned Paradise Lost, it's interesting to me that they chose to take the same, pitiful turn with their musical shift on the 1998 release Discouraged Ones. To be honest I haven't listened to them since then except for a track or two from Night Is The New Day last year that left me likewise disgusted.

Nordeast if you think they have redeemed themselves with this new release or have returned to anything close to 1996 form please let me know and I'll give a listen, otherwise I'll keep spinning their good stuff and dreaming of the good old days.

BTW, if the vocals sound familiar here it's because Mikael from Opeth is on the mic...

Old 09-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #543
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Liked 1084 Times on 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Ah yes, another band that used to be exceptional but sold out to the "nu" nonsense a long time ago. Not saying that their music now is not without merit, just not metal which makes it pretty much worthless to me, much like Paradise Lost.

Widely considered one of the forefathers of doom/death, not unlike the afore-mentioned Paradise Lost, it's interesting to me that they chose to take the same, pitiful turn with their musical shift on the 1998 release Discouraged Ones. To be honest I haven't listened to them since then except for a track or two from Night Is The New Day last year that left me likewise disgusted.

Nordeast if you think they have redeemed themselves with this new release or have returned to anything close to 1996 form please let me know and I'll give a listen, otherwise I'll keep spinning their good stuff and dreaming of the good old days.

BTW, if the vocals sound familiar here it's because Mikael from Opeth is on the mic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYU9kcAaqwk

Yeah, I'm not going to try to convince you that the new album would redeem anything for you..... if you haven't liked their music since the DO album, and think that NITND album was bad, you aren't going to change your mind with Dead End Kings. I do have to say that I completely disagree though. Their first few albums were great, don't get me wrong, and Brave Murder Day is one of my favorite records of their's, but only because of Åkerfeldt's vocals.... Let's face it though, Jonas Renske was a horrible drummer and his "metal" vocals left alot to be desired, IMO..... and that of his bandmates, thus his transition from drummer/vocalist to strictly singing. I do agree that they long ago moved away from their early Death/Doom sound, but I think it was a move for the better. Much like Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride, it seems that Katatonia has mellowed with age, they're not nearly as "heavy" in the traditional distorted guitar sense, but their sound and subject matter are as dark and morose as ever.
Honestly, if you want heavy and brutal from Blackheim and Jonas, along with some of Åkerfeldt's best vocal work, check these guys out (disclaimer: Åkerfeldt left Bloodbath this spring due to his issues with his growls):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlxjLyEGtaU

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #544
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Liked 1084 Times on 788 Posts

As for what I'm listening to at the moment..... it's Friday, so a little drinkin' music is in order! Love these guys:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUwCmOSn_04
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VOLkByDqgE

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #545
headbanger
Recipes 

Apr 2011
The Hill, KY
Liked 767 Times on 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Yeah, I'm not going to try to convince you that the new album would redeem anything for you..... if you haven't liked their music since the DO album, and think that NITND album was bad, you aren't going to change your mind with Dead End Kings. I do have to say that I completely disagree though. Their first few albums were great, don't get me wrong, and Brave Murder Day is one of my favorite records of their's, but only because of Åkerfeldt's vocals.... Let's face it though, Jonas Renske was a horrible drummer and his "metal" vocals left alot to be desired, IMO..... and that of his bandmates, thus his transition from drummer/vocalist to strictly singing. I do agree that they long ago moved away from their early Death/Doom sound, but I think it was a move for the better. Much like Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride, it seems that Katatonia has mellowed with age, they're not nearly as "heavy" in the traditional distorted guitar sense, but their sound and subject matter are as dark and morose as ever.
Understood, and please understand that it's not necessarily the music they are making nowadays that I think is garbage, it's that type (nu-genre) of music in general. It's NOT metal and it never will be. Obviously they are talented as well as credible or at least they were at one point, the same applies to Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride. I guess the thing that really gets under my skin about these types of bands is they try to portray themselves as metal knowing darn good and well that they sold themselves out of the metal community long ago. I can't really comment on any of their current stuff simply because I can't stand to listen to that style of music, or any genre with "core" in it either. If you'd like to discuss this further we can on the metal thread, love Bloodbath btw.

Back on topic...

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #546
pigsaarz
Recipes 

Apr 2012
melbourne, victoria
Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

How about McGinness Flint "Malt & Barley blues"

Old 09-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #547
chetduggan
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Rockledge, Fl
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

Old 09-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #548
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

Never ever get between a father and his kids. Even if you are a scary monster.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 09-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #549
av8er79
Recipes 

Feb 2012
McDonough, GA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

G Love and Special Sauce

HoppyDaze Likes This 
Old 09-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #550
Tex
Recipes 

Nov 2011