Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Baked goods from spent grain?

Old 05-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
JDFlow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Baked goods from spent grain?

Anyone have any good recipes to make baked goods with spent grain? I found a recipe for dog treats. My girlfriends dog could eat them, but they only take 4 cups of spent grain. Any other recipes out there to use the rest. I was thinking maybe oatmeal cookies with grain substituted for the oatmeal, or granola bars.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

google search spent grain breads or search tis site. I have made it several times with recipes from here and it is REALLY good.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 05-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It's unlikely that you'll be able to use "the rest of it", unless you dry it and grind it down to flour. 6-12lbs of grain for a typical batch of beer is a lot to chew through.

That said, there are a lot of recipes out there. I've made crackers and bread on several occasions, and added it to pizza dough. My rule of thumb is to replace whole or cracked grains in a recipe with spent grain in equal measure, and then reduce the liquid in the recipe slightly to account for the moisture in the spent grain.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
matt-tastic
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My wife just made a "whole wheat" type bread from my specialty grains from todays brew. it takes a while (unless you're used to making bread, then you're used to it)

She found the receipt on the AHA website, but don't know which one. if you have the ability to grind it into flour, that'd be a great use, as we only used 2 cups for 3 loaves of bread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I froze a bunch at 2 cups per freezer bag...works fine for bread.. I made some that I added cinnamon and sugar to.....it was very good.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 05-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 307

1 cup fresh spent grain (wet is fine)..I use grains from dark beers.
3 cups of high gluten (bread) flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp instant dry yeast
Mix with enough lukewarm wort to make a stiff dough(it's going to be somewhat sticky so use enough bench flour).

Let it rise for 1-2 hours then knead it into a rough loaf shape. Put on corn meal on a baking sheet, cover and proof for about 2 hours.. It won't rise like regular bread dough but it will grow a decent amount if you are patient.

Bake at about 375 till done (hollow sound and nice dark brown color).

It has no preservatives so enjoy it while it's fresh.

The above amounts are estimates, since I do this type of baking by feel..LOL.

EXPERIMENT AWAY.. It's only bread.

bosco

Old 05-28-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Thanks for the replies. My girlfriend has been reading books about and learning to bake bread. I'll pass it by her and see what she can come up with. I did find a couple oatmeal cookie recipes I might try though.

http://cheflisa.lisahartjes.com/2009...grain-cookies/

http://www.omnomicon.com/spent-grain-cookies

If this doesn't work out we'll probably just make a ton of dog treats and donate them to animal shelters.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 307

When dealing with bread baking it is a little like brewing. Patience is important especially when baking with whole grains rather than just bread flour. It takes longer for doughs to proof or rise when grains are used.

bosco

Old 05-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 29

[QUOTE=If this doesn't work out we'll probably just make a ton of dog treats and donate them to animal shelters.[/QUOTE]

Excelent idea, The HUmane Society needs all the help it can get. Feeding the animals is what drives the euthanization number. The more they feed, the less they have to kill. I have a freind who works at a shelter, and hates Tuesday because that is euthanizing day. It is heartbreaking to see all those puppies, dogs and cats have to end that way. Thanks for a great idea to support a very worthy cause.
WCB

Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
blakelyc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I made a spent grain bread recipe that I found on this site, but any bread with a starter works well if you throw in a cup or two of spent grain. I generally use a poolish starter for whole grain breads since it makes the bread a little lighter, but it does add a day to the prep time. I almost never dry it..... Just make bread the same day or store in the fridge for a couple of days. If you grab a copy of Peter reinhardt's "bread bakers apprentice", I would recommend that as a fine addition to your library.