Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Unhealthy yeast propagation and starters

Old 05-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Bonde
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Unhealthy yeast propagation and starters

I was thinking a bit about yeast harvesting from a bottle and propagation of it. Well actually this also concerns using very stressed yeast and/or with low vitality.
I see a lot of threads on repitching slurry, when and when not to.What I was wondering.

Letís say Iím harvesting yeast from a high gravity Belgian ale or something the like. I start with a mini starter and get that going, then step up 1:5 or 1:10, would I not be creating new and perfectly healthy cells (I know the mother/father probably wasnít the best) but would the poor condition of initial cells affect the condition of the new ones? My thesis is probably not, or at least not on a critical level.

The same thing when waking up yeast stored in the fridge. Iíve stored yeast for up to a year at 40-50f and woke them up without a problem with a starter. If I decant this starter during active fermentation to a new Erlenmeyer, I would probably also be leaving dead cells and trub behind right? And then again be stepping up fresh and perfectly healthy cells, or am I missing something besides the obvious risk of some minor mutation.