Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > "corny" Legal or not

Old 05-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Jamming
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default "corny" Legal or not

Just found a great deal on a stack of corny kegs at a local garage sale and as soon as i get back to my RV "camping" Guy next to me says those are illegal to own, Well my only answer was, They don't make them anymore and even beer brew stores sell-em. Whats the deal with this comment. Is it true or just some bull from the past ? $5 bucks each was very difficult to pass up, But i did ask "were did you buy them" and he said at a auction. But i am concerned about supporting any ilegal activity and would rather pay $50 bucks each than support theft. There is no special markings on them but are in good shape and have co2 still present. Whats the deal ?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
NineMilBill
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Illegal corny kegs? I'm not sure I understand...Private sales (i.e. garage sales) are typically tax-exempt and 100% legal as long as the buyer does not have a legitimate reason to believe the transaction is illegal. So the intent of the transaction is really between you and the seller. I doubt the FDA or DEA will be running checks on your cornies, btw...

Old 05-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
dutchoven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As far as I know, almost every corney keg for sale is legal ... The soda indusry largely discontinued their use years ago when the moved to syrup boxes ... Whether the particular kegs were stolen, who knows

Old 05-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
JimCharb
Newby OldFart
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I commend you on your honesty! Please forward the contact information for the person that has the cornies. I'll look into it further...

Old 05-26-2012, 02:48 AM   #5
JimCharb
Newby OldFart
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

;-)

Old 05-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
idahobrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You are fine, they are totally legal. Your friend may be talking about actual beer kegs that are owned by the brewery that they come from.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
truebe
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In answer to your question, these are serving containers that were formerly used by the soda industry so any legal *mind wanders off*...

My god did you say 5 dollar cornys?

Old 05-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
killian
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would also like to talk to this gentleman about these kegs, just to make sure they legal.......Holy $#!+.......5$ per keg, buy them and mail me one,lol.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
Jamming
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I only bought 6 of them and he had 4 more. But the ones i got are in the best shape. The person that said they are illegal to own also said he worked for "pepsi" for thirty years so thats what made me wonder. But these dont say pepsi on them, They say alpac and one says coke. Thanks for your answers.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
NoCornOrRice
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 30

First, speaking as someone who just today had personal property stolen by someone, I commend you on your desire to be honest.

Second, when companies sell their corny kegs to the scrap yard, they lose any control over how they are used... duh! In my neck of the woods, they have been putting a pinhole in all of the kegs before selling them at the scrap yard, specifically to prevent reuse.