Black Wheat - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Black Wheat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
tmm0f5
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 102
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts



5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 43.5 %
5 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3 43.5 %
1 lbs Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.7 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.3 %
0.40 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 20.1 IBUs
0.30 oz Centennial [9.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
0.30 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

BIAB Mash at 152 for 60 mins, ferment at 67.

Looking for thoughts/feedback? I brewed this today, was hoping for a very dark version of an american wheat but not quite the taste of a dunkelweizen. Was thinking a little creamier mildly roastier version of an american wheat ale.

It's essentially Jamil's american wheat with 1 lb of Weyermann's Chocolate Wheat malt subbed in for Wheat and 1/2 lb of Oats subbed in for some 2 row. Also used Magnum instead of Horizon for bittering hops. Kept the aroma hops the same.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks!

-Tim



 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
Jayfro21
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
San Diego, CA
Posts: 262
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I think it will be amazing, especially if I get a bottle!


__________________
Primary 1: SN Celebration Ale Clone
Primary 2: Empty
Kegged: BCB Haus Pale Ale
Bottled: Guinness Clone, Watermelon wheat, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Cottage House Saison, Cream of Three Crops, BM Helles Belles, Punk'toberfest, Santa Baby Holiday Ale, Kaiser Alt
Up next: BCB Rye IPA, Coconut porter, Bluebird bitter clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
tmm0f5
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 102
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Had an OG of 1.062 (got a 81% efficiency...usually get 70-75%)

FG of 1.015. Fermented it around 65-66.

Sample tastes fantastic, just waiting for an empty keg to transfer and Carb.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
tmm0f5
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 102
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfro21 View Post
I think it will be amazing, especially if I get a bottle!
Jason,

Hopefully putting this into a keg in the next week or so. Just tapped Jamil's Red Rocket Clone. So freakin' tasty. I'll bring you a bottle next week (grabbed one of Bowie's bottlers).

-tim

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
tmm0f5
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 102
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Here's one week on CO2... not completely carbed yet. True pitch black color, dark tan head, light hefe nose, some roasty taste, a little more than expected. A finishing hefe taste with just a light banana and clove. Definitely a creamy mouth feel.

Will try another pint in a week, but right now would try reducing the chocolate wheat a bit to let more of the hefe flavors come through...maybe 0.5-0.75 lbs per 5 gals.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120630_063335.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	66931  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
ampsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
SAN JOSE, California
Posts: 152
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts


any updates? im about to give this a try.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
tmm0f5
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 102
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


I finally tapped that keg this week. Definitely a good drinkable beer, but it was a bit more roasty than I was hoping for. The roast covered up any of the Hefe character that I was looking for. If I were to do it again, I would cut the Chocolate Wheat back to either 1/2 or 3/4 lb.

That would probably allow more of the hefe flavors to come through. Let me know what you think of it...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,882
Liked 164 Times on 133 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm0f5 View Post
I finally tapped that keg this week. Definitely a good drinkable beer, but it was a bit more roasty than I was hoping for. The roast covered up any of the Hefe character that I was looking for. If I were to do it again, I would cut the Chocolate Wheat back to either 1/2 or 3/4 lb.

That would probably allow more of the hefe flavors to come through. Let me know what you think of it...
If you're goal was to just make a black hefe, there are dark grains out there that provide darkness but with much less roasted flavors. I used Black Prinz in mine and it did a good job, you could also consider the debittered blacks out there (Carafa I-II-II dehusked), etc.

Chocolate malt is good to make a dunkel.

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
tmm0f5
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 102
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
If you're goal was to just make a black hefe, there are dark grains out there that provide darkness but with much less roasted flavors. I used Black Prinz in mine and it did a good job, you could also consider the debittered blacks out there (Carafa I-II-II dehusked), etc.

Chocolate malt is good to make a dunkel.

MC
I agree 100% with you. I really wanted to just try out the Chocolate Wheat grain... Was going for a beer just a tad bigger and darker than a dunkel, but without a strong overpowering roastiness. Still just wanted some hefeweizen yeast character in there. The 1lb was prob a bit too much, thinking 1/2-3/4lb would be perfect.

However isn't wheat huskless? So theoretically shouldnt the Chocolate Wheat be similar to the dehusked dark grains?


Tim

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,882
Liked 164 Times on 133 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm0f5 View Post
However isn't wheat huskless? So theoretically shouldnt the Chocolate Wheat be similar to the dehusked dark grains?
Yes it is. I misread you and thought you meant chocolate malt (barley).

MC


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American Wheat Beer Litehaus Wheat (Boulevard Wheat Clone) BierMuncher Homebrew Ale Recipes 76 06-04-2016 06:35 PM
Weissbier Simple Wheat Justibone Homebrew Ale Recipes 25 03-24-2012 12:20 AM
American Wheat Beer Amarillo Wheat JLem Homebrew Ale Recipes 0 08-27-2010 01:32 AM
American Wheat Beer Am-Wheat (Amarillo Wheat) BarleyWater Homebrew Ale Recipes 0 03-13-2008 07:28 AM


Forum Jump