How big of a difference would it really be? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > How big of a difference would it really be?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,826
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts



I have a recipe I got from Hombrewer_99 and it calls for a 1.5 gallon boil. I have a 60qt pot and would rather do a full boil. How big of a difference would it make really?
The recipe calls for 6# of DME and only .5oz of Hallertau hops (6%AA) for 60 minutes. That's it.

If I was doing a full boil instead of the 1.5 gal. could I just cut the hops boil down to say 30 minutes? Or something along those lines.

I have a demo seat of Promash but I have not had much time to play with it to figure this stuff out.
Any help here would be great.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Evan!
 
Evan!'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 11,863
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402
I have a recipe I got from Hombrewer_99 and it calls for a 1.5 gallon boil. I have a 60qt pot and would rather do a full boil. How big of a difference would it make really?
The recipe calls for 6# of DME and only .5oz of Hallertau hops (6%AA) for 60 minutes. That's it.

If I was doing a full boil instead of the 1.5 gal. could I just cut the hops boil down to say 30 minutes? Or something along those lines.

I have a demo seat of Promash but I have not had much time to play with it to figure this stuff out.
Any help here would be great.
You've got time to write that post and monitor the board for replies, but no time to just figure it out in ProMash?

Lemme assist: start a new recipe. Enter your variables: boil time, boil volume, hops, malt. Take a look at your #'s---IBU, OG, SRM. Then change some of the variables---up the boil volume, lower to boil time. See how the IBU's, OG, and SRM have changed.

It's just that easy. Good luck!
__________________
MOSS HOLLOW BREWING CO.
Aristocratic Ales, Lascivious Lagers


.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,826
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
You've got time to write that post and monitor the board for replies, but no time to just figure it out in ProMash?

Lemme assist: start a new recipe. Enter your variables: boil time, boil volume, hops, malt. Take a look at your #'s---IBU, OG, SRM. Then change some of the variables---up the boil volume, lower to boil time. See how the IBU's, OG, and SRM have changed.

It's just that easy. Good luck!
LOL I'm at work and I don't have promash here. I'm stuck on 70+ hours a week.

Thanks for the tip. When I get home tonight I'll play around with it some more.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,916
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts


IIRC, Bill does a late addition for most or all of his extract, so the efficiency he gets from the 60 minute addition is pretty high even with the small boil. The bigger issue - and why you do need to run this through ProMash anyway - is the AA% of the hops. Bill may be using 5%; if you've got 4%, you need to use more to get the same target IBUs (for this style, ~15 or so).

It probably wouldn't be an issue changing the boil time from 60 to 30 minutes, but that's one variable (boil time) you usually leave constant. You might get a bit more residual hop flavor than you expect doing a shorter boil time for the hops. Again, not an issue with a half ounce of Hallertau - but if you were doing a beer with a couple ounces of Chinook, you'd be able to tell the difference with a change in the bittering addition's time.
__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:30 AM   #5
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,826
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts


Ok, so I put the info in.
6 gal boil, 6#DME, 1oz Hallertau pellet hops (3.2%aau) with a 60 minute boil and it says that I would have 14.3 IBU's.
Bill's recipe calls for a IBU of 7 so it looks like I need to play around with that a little.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear


 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:44 AM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,916
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts


I just did Baron's Basic Hefe recipe, in the database, at about 15IBUs. Spot-on, IMHO. I'd hesitate going too much lower.
__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:07 AM   #7
FlyingHorse
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FlyingHorse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Evanston IL
Posts: 1,856
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I just did Baron's Basic Hefe recipe, in the database, at about 15IBUs. Spot-on, IMHO. I'd hesitate going too much lower.
Bird, did you decoct it? Any pointers? I might tackle it this weekend, if either one of the f***ing stubborn beers in my primaries decides to ferment out...
__________________
No signature required.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:08 AM   #8
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts


All interesting. The hops I use at 60 mins is 6%, but I only use 1/2 oz which equals 3%.

That's in the low range to acquire the sweet banana flavor versus the bitter flavor. Somewhere around 7 IBUs should be right. I know a lot of other recipes state 11-15 IBUs, but this is more bitter than I like.

Any help assisting the OP is appreciated...even by me.

Bird: There is an issue changing the boil time from 60 to 30 mins. I found that out in a previous batch. What it was is at 30 mins there were some hop flavoring. Good news is that about 2 weeks in the keg they have almost gone away.
__________________
HB Bill


 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:15 AM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,916
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
Bird, did you decoct it? Any pointers? I might tackle it this weekend, if either one of the f***ing stubborn beers in my primaries decides to ferment out...
I did, it was my first (and so far only) decoction. It's hard to tell how much of a difference it made, since I haven't done it without the decoction, but it came out really, really nicely.

Bill, didn't mean to imply anything negative about your brews, just that with my experience, the 12-15IBUs was just about right to have a real good balance.
__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:18 AM   #10
FlyingHorse
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FlyingHorse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Evanston IL
Posts: 1,856
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I did, it was my first (and so far only) decoction. It's hard to tell how much of a difference it made, since I haven't done it without the decoction, but it came out really, really nicely.
What schedule did you use?
__________________
No signature required.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference SmugMug Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 05-15-2009 10:01 PM
what is the difference between.. smokysalsa Recipes/Ingredients 4 01-27-2009 11:01 PM
What a difference SRTBREW All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 06-13-2008 10:01 PM
Can you tell the difference? Orpheus Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 23 06-30-2007 05:30 PM
Is there a difference???? Saxmk6 Extract Brewing 4 01-24-2007 10:14 PM


Forum Jump