Whats an Alcoholic? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Whats an Alcoholic?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
av8er79
Recipes 

Feb 2012
McDonough, GA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Whats "your" definition of an Alcoholic?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7397 Times on 6074 Posts

" the first solution is to admit you have a problem.."

An Alcoholic is someone who admits to having a problem.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
av8er79
Recipes 

Feb 2012
McDonough, GA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

whats a "problem"?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7397 Times on 6074 Posts

A product of admittance.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Florence, Alabama
Liked 116 Times on 98 Posts

I believe it is defined by the physical addiction to alcohol

Old 05-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
NoRoom4Error
Recipes 

May 2011
Leesburg, VA
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I've always thought of an alcoholic that requires (not desires) to have alcohol in almost any form. I know it sounds like a boozer-idea but I test myself every so often by going dry for a week or two.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 527 Times on 400 Posts

I have friends that if they buy a 30 pack, then they will not go to bed until it is gone. That is an Alcholic in my eyes. I can have 2 with dinner and then drink water or tea the rest of the night. Geez, if I had to drink all the beer in my house before going to bed....I'd be dead.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Zuljin
TR Fitness King

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5297 Times on 4512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Geez, if I had to drink all the beer in my house before going to bed....I'd be dead.
True dat. I don't think my guts could even hold it all.

If you drink to pass out, you're an alcoholic. And you probably have other serious issues that lead you to feeling like you need to do that.

If you drink because you cannot function socially otherwise, you're an alcoholic. Again though, it may have been other issues that lead you that way.

A lot of substance abuse can be traced to other reasons. Other things trigger it or give a person reason to use the substance as a crutch.

But if you get drunk just to get drunk, all the time, if you don't even want to but just feel like you have to in order to feel normal, or you get sick if you're not drunk, that maybe straight up addiction to the substance.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:59 AM   #9
DrewBrew08
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Brandon, Mississippi
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
But if you get drunk just to get drunk, all the time, if you don't even want to but just feel like you have to in order to feel normal......
I have a few friends like this. I believe that yes this is a problem, but i feel that I have that same problem. I like to drink (Love it actually, mmmm different types, smell, taste, mouthfeel, Everything!). Not really pound beers one after the other every night, but i do have alcohol every day. Honesty i couldnt tell you the last time i have eaten dinner without a beer or glass of wine. It just became a habit over time.....

I think that is what "Alcoholism" is..... (a habit.. To many many S**tty days at work and people go home and start pounding. Have a bad month? Hey thats atleast 21 days so thats now a habit) and as Zuljin said, people get drunk to just get drunk... because of events (jobs as my example).

**Also, I would like to say +100 to Hammy71. First post i have ever wrote, Hammy71 help me decide what brewing kit to start with and answered all my questions about homebrewing Thanks man

Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 527 Times on 400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBrew08 View Post
I have a few friends like this. I believe that yes this is a problem, but i feel that I have that same problem. I like to drink (Love it actually, mmmm different types, smell, taste, mouthfeel, Everything!). Not really pound beers one after the other every night, but i do have alcohol every day. Honesty i couldnt tell you the last time i have eaten dinner without a beer or glass of wine. It just became a habit over time.....

I think that is what "Alcoholism" is..... (a habit.. To many many S**tty days at work and people go home and start pounding. Have a bad month? Hey thats atleast 21 days so thats now a habit) and as Zuljin said, people get drunk to just get drunk... because of events (jobs as my example).

**Also, I would like to say +100 to Hammy71. First post i have ever wrote, Hammy71 help me decide what brewing kit to start with and answered all my questions about homebrewing Thanks man
Thats why we are all on here. To help and learn from each other. Cheers!!

Joe Dragon Likes This