Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Hop pellet residue in bottles - will they sediment?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Eilert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hop pellet residue in bottles - will they sediment?

Hi,

Had this brew (4.7 gal) in primary for 3 weeks. Dryhopped with about 2 oz of pellets for the last 9-10 days. At bottling time (bottling straight from primary), there were quite a lot of hops floating, although quite a lot had sunken, too - anyway I decided to bottle. Tried to use a sanitized hops bag as a filter - didn't work very well.

Anyway - after 2 weeks in the bottle (@ 66-72 F), there's some residue floating around in the bottles. Pieces with diameter up to 3-4 mm.

The question is: will this ultimately sediment? If so, when?? Will it help to put them in the fridge (@37-39 F) - if so, how long do you think it will take before the hops particles have sedimented?

Thanks!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 408 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 965

A couple things...I recommend either cold crashing the beer before bottling and/or using a hop bag. Many people on here just throw hops in and get them to settle out but it does not work that well for me.

Also, consider placing a hop bag over the siphon to limit the amount that gets into your bottling bucket.

As for the beer you have...a week in the fridge will settle that out...two weeks for sure. Pour the beer carefully.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Eilert
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
...or using a hop bag.
Will most certainly do next time!

Quote:
Also, consider placing a hop bag over the siphon to limit the amount that gets into your bottling bucket
Don't use a bottling bucket..

Quote:
a week in the fridge will settle that out...two weeks for sure.
Think so? Great! That was the answer I was hoping for