I just did a burn off, much like the one you should do to get rid of the toxic black paint on the burner stand. You can see in my pics the amount of surface rust on my surround. If the galvanized coating were still there, there would be no rust.
I once welded on a piece of galv.metal by mistake, and know what it does to you. Not fun.
I don't see a problem if you do a heavy burn with a pot full of water to disperse the heat horizontally. My ring will glow red if I really get it going. I am not worried, And I certainly don't feel the fume effects drinking my beer.
Originally Posted by Marc77
For those using the starting collar or anyone thinking about using the starting collar I'd advise against it.
It's made of galvanized steel and cooking on that releases toxic chemicals. You may not notice it to much but it can cause health problems.
MikeInMKE brought this to my attention and I'm glad he did!