Altbier Ollie Alt - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Altbier Ollie Alt

Old 05-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6712 Times on 3965 Posts

Recipe Type: All Grain   
Yeast: Im Fuchschen Brewery House Yeast   
Batch Size (Gallons): 10   
Original Gravity: 1.051   
Final Gravity: 1.010   
IBU: 40   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60   
Color: 14   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10   

Grain Bill:
15 lbs German Pilsner (88.2 %)
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) (5.9 %)
8.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) (2.9 %)
8.0 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (413.0 SRM) (2.9 %)
20.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)

Hop Schedule
50g Magnum [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min - 28.8 IBUs
50g Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min - 10.6 IBUs
I've been to Dusseldorf many times and drank all of the alts there. This one is very tasty and I think a great example.

On my last trip there I made friends with one of the brewers at Im Fuchschen, and he took me on an extended tour / drinking part of the basement brewery. I came home with yeast, with which I made this beer. I think any malt-forward yeast would work (i.e., english yeasts).

Here's some pics and video from my last trip there: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/duss...outube-282538/

Old 06-20-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts

Alt is one of the next two on my list...ingredients are en route. I'm brewing a recipe very similar to the Cowboy Alt in Brewing Classic Styles.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
passedpawn
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
Alt is one of the next two on my list...ingredients are en route. I'm brewing a recipe very similar to the Cowboy Alt in Brewing Classic Styles.
I might try that one myself. I was totally satisfied with my alt here, but I'll try one with munich next time. Although JZ uses munich, it wasn't on the grain bill at the brewery that I visited, and I was trying as much as possible to recreate that one.

So, did you brew your alt?

Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
jmf143
Recipes 

May 2010
Wixom, Michigan
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

PP, what were your water numbers after the addition of the gypsum? Looking to do an Alt soon and your recipe looks good.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
passedpawn
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf143 View Post
PP, what were your water numbers after the addition of the gypsum? Looking to do an Alt soon and your recipe looks good.
Water chemistry? I've never paid any attention. I usually add gypsum to hoppy beers, but honestly I don't know why. Water chemistry mostly remains a mystery for me; I do things by memory and not by understanding when it comes to that.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
Gavin C
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2014
Dallas, TX
Liked 3335 Times on 2126 Posts

Looks great. After watching the videos (no sound I'm at work) I gotta give this a go. Do you reckon WLP029 would work well?

Old 04-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #7
gboa
Recipes 

Feb 2014
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

looks delicious, what i love about altbier is that it allows for great difference in
ingredients from basic munich malt to a variety of different malts. how did the chocolate wheat malt come into play? never thought about that in an alt

Old 09-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #8
passedpawn
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboa View Post
looks delicious, what i love about altbier is that it allows for great difference in
ingredients from basic munich malt to a variety of different malts. how did the chocolate wheat malt come into play? never thought about that in an alt
Sorry, didn't notice this post.

I'm into chocolate wheat for beers that I need color in, but don't want to add any roastiness. That's all I wanted it for, the color. Not sure it makes a difference which 400 SRM malt you use. Wheat doesn't have a husk (I don't think). That's important because I think some of the roastiness that barley malt has, when kilned, is the husk burning. I think wheat doesn't have that. It's all color and cocoa and no burnt.