Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Turkey Breast - Skin/Skinless
Old 05-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Turkey Breast - Skin/Skinless

Any of you guys smoked the boneless skinless turkey breasts? Most I've seen are "enhanced" so I guess that's why they don't dry out during the smoke with up to 15% salt water added?

I'm buying a lot of local deli sliced turkey; trying to save money smoking my own but want to keep things as low fat as possible without sacrificing moisture.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wrap my deli meats in banana leaves which will really keep it moist -- and incredibly cheap too without adding calories or more salt. You can find them at most Asian grocery stores. Depending how much smoke flavor you want, cut the bananna leaves half-way through for a smokey finish.
On Deck: Cornucopia Oktoberfest
Primary: Centennial Blonde v2, Ed Wort's Kolsch
Secondary: none
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH
Old 05-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #3

I haven't smoked the boneless skinless ones, so far I have been sticking to the skin on, bone in breasts. If you can find them without the added brine, get those and do your own injections. I often add a mixture of jalapeno juice (from a jar of pickled jalapenos), mustard, and a bit of whatever rub I use on the turkey skin. Makes for excellent sandwiches.

I smoke multiple breasts at a time, and then vaccuum seal them. I don't know if it saves me any money, but that's not why I took up brewing and smoking