Plate Chiller Setup - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers & Stir Plates > Plate Chiller Setup

Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Jeebas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 37 Times on 26 Posts

Here is my setup with the plate chiller (it is much like the one pictured here - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/plat...ometer-311479/ but with some different garden fittings) -

Water In: Garden Hose Fitting (shipped with the Plate Chiller) -> Gooseneck Shutoff -> Male Quick-Connect (Female Quick-Connect hooked up to garden hose)
Water Out: Spare 1/2" Female NPT to Barb (I had this laying around from my brewstand fittings but the Hose Barbs shipped with the Plate Chiller would work as well) -> Spare Siphon Tubing
Wort In: Camlock Type A
Wort Out: Camlock Type A (thermocouple attaches to this)
Thermocouple: Camlock Type B -> 1/2" NPT Tee -> Thermometer -> Camlock Type F

Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
rack04
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Dallas, TX
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Nice. There are many different configurations that I pondered when I put my plate chiller together. My goals were to provide flexibility to connect the water in to either a garden hose or submersible pump with ice water, use the same connectors as my water filter setup, and be able to reverse flow easily to clean and sanitize. Here is what I came up with:

Capn_James Likes This 
Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
bzomerlei
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Jenison, MI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very nice idea using the Camlock A directly on the chiller. I put a Tee on the output, then a Camlock F on the Tee. Yours is a better solution, I'll be switching mine to match.

The nice thing about the Camlocks is that it makes back flushing trivial.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
willpower71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Houston, Texas
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Very nice. Thanks for sharing this. ONLY thing I would do different is not use a cam lock on the water exhaust. But I will use the rest of this setup for my own system. I was thinking standard garden hose QD's from HD or Lowe's for that. Will consider the elbows, but my system is still not defined. Thanks again! Very informative post Sir!

Old 09-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Jeebas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 37 Times on 26 Posts

You're welcome!

I think you might be referring to rack04's post about the camlock on water out, i use a hose barb with some siphon tubing.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
rack04
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Dallas, TX
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebas View Post
You're welcome!

I think you might be referring to rack04's post about the camlock on water out, i use a hose barb with some siphon tubing.
That's actually the water in. I use it that way because I can use the same adapter piece that I use for my water filter. It has a male garden hose quick disconnect on one side and a barbed female cam lock on the other.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2009
ATL Burbs, Georgia
Liked 98 Times on 82 Posts

Nice looking chillers guys. I've been using an immersible for years and I've had a DudaDiesel chiller in my ebay watch list for a year now...I just keep renewing it. I may pull the trigger this year. I watched Lonnie's Brutus video on youtube and I liked how he chilled using a 2-step process.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1765 Times on 1122 Posts

The only thing I'd change is using a digital on the output rather than a slow bimetal. It's really hard to dial flow in when you have a reaction delay.

BraxtonBrewery Likes This 
Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #9
rack04
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Dallas, TX
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The only thing I'd change is using a digital on the output rather than a slow bimetal. It's really hard to dial flow in when you have a reaction delay.

Please explain how you connected the digital thermometer to the 1/2" NPT. Never mind I found it on your website. Good idea.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #10
Toecutter

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Riverside, ca
Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
Please explain how you connected the digital thermometer to the 1/2" NPT. Never mind I found it on your website. Good idea.
And where did he purchse such Digital Thermometer ?

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen