Hop identification - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop identification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
iowabrew
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Ames, Iowa
Posts: 541
Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts



Ordered jumbo rhizomes from willamette valley hops. they sent me an extra with the description "cascade?fuggles?" any way to figure this out other than lab analysis?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Randar
All your Ninkasi are belong to us
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Wheeling, IL
Posts: 40,070
Liked 5299 Times on 5119 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabrew View Post
Ordered jumbo rhizomes from willamette valley hops. they sent me an extra with the description "cascade?fuggles?" any way to figure this out other than lab analysis?
If it grows like ****, it's a fuggle. If it grows like an animal, Cascade.

Also, fuggle is one of a few that will be discernible from cascade, IME, especially if you have known fuggle or cascades in your hopyard already. Fuggle are not vigorous growers/producers and their cones will be smaller and discernibly less pungent (more musty/herbal) than cascades.
__________________
So, I suffer from ASIA? -TXCrash
Actually, it's all of us that suffer from your ASIA. -KCBrewer

I often feel like the dumbest person in the room here -JuanMoore

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
iowabrew
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Ames, Iowa
Posts: 541
Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts


Well I'm guessing cascade if going by growing tendency. Thing has taken off like a rocket!

Although the other cascade rhizome in partial shade is coming along less vigorously. Shade or non porting soil mix contributing to this?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
badbrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
l.a., ca
Posts: 1,372
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabrew View Post
Well I'm guessing cascade if going by growing tendency. Thing has taken off like a rocket!

Although the other cascade rhizome in partial shade is coming along less vigorously. Shade or non porting soil mix contributing to this?
My fuggles started the strongest of the 6 types.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
BradleyBrew
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Parris Island, USA
Posts: 1,751
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
If it grows like ****, it's a fuggle. If it grows like an animal, Cascade.

Also, fuggle is one of a few that will be discernible from cascade, IME, especially if you have known fuggle or cascades in your hopyard already. Fuggle are not vigorous growers/producers and their cones will be smaller and discernibly less pungent (more musty/herbal) than cascades.
Haha, I would agree with that. My first year Cascades (crowns) are about 3' tall and my fuggle is just throwing new shoots off.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
iowabrew
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Ames, Iowa
Posts: 541
Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts


Haha very inconclusive. Guess a SMaSH is in order!(in Sept)

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hop Identification daugenet Hops Growing 5 08-17-2011 11:30 PM
hop identification foyboy Hops Growing 4 04-18-2011 01:31 PM
Male Hop Identification Blackwill Hops Growing 9 07-21-2010 05:28 PM
Hop Identification ... ? maztec Hops Growing 4 05-02-2010 05:37 PM
Hop identification help KevyWevy Hops Growing 11 09-14-2009 07:08 PM


Forum Jump