Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewery Job

Old 05-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
KYB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It may sound great, but a lot of people don't realize it's not that glamorous. If a cool job to you is carrying around sacks of grain, cleaning crap, and maybe some other oddball jobs - for typically under $10/hour - then go for it. If not, you may want to reconsider.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
cayergeau
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Schemy: I think that I can do that. I'm planning on going to several beer fests in the next month, so I will try to talk to the people there; hopefully they will send an actual brewer to the event for questions and it won't be a madhouse for the lines so I can actually get a word in edgewise to the people.

Gmcapone: I am going to try to start touring more breweries in my general area as well. Would you happen to know if I have a better chance of meeting important people if I go during weekdays when they would presumably be busy brewing?

Thanks to all for the advice, please keep it coming! The retail jobs I work now to support myself do nothing for me aside from bring in a bit of money.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #13
cayergeau
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODaniel View Post
It may sound great, but a lot of people don't realize it's not that glamorous. If a cool job to you is carrying around sacks of grain, cleaning crap, and maybe some other oddball jobs - for typically under $10/hour - then go for it. If not, you may want to reconsider.
Sorry, didn't notice this one on here. It may not sound too glamorous, but I already do that for my current jobs. If I'm in the field I want to be in, then it'll be all the glamor I need, even if it doesn't pay well. And heck, maybe I'll win the lottery while I'm working there. That will round things out nicely.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:54 AM   #14
Pogopunx82
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I enjoy working around beer no matter what I do. I've been building relationships with people in the pro scene and it's not easy. I've done a couple of all-grain workshops at the LHBS which is owned by a pro-brewer. This stuff isn't easy. They hire people they know(friends & family). Even here in Asheville NC it's harder than I thought. Volunteering is hard with the other stuff I have to do everyday. All I can say is that it takes TIME. Keep trying and good luck.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
Paul_Aris
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

What is your education level? What do you do for work now? Are you single or married with kids? If your single I would consider moving. There are a lot of micros growing in leaps and bounds right now that are hiring. Maybe not in NH. Do what ever it takes. I would be looking at the schooling no mattter how long the wait is. If you don't get on the waiting list you may never get in. Not to mention if you really like working around beer you will love the brewing schools. If you don't show initiative to get educated you may not show the desire to really do this. Just a thought.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Backporchbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Brewery jobs don't pay ****. Sweetwater, who just upgraded to 1000bbl fermenters, pays their brewers around $13/hr (and that's with a few years exp). Its an industry that's cool, but you have to live poor. My brother left brewing after 3 yrs because the money was so bad, and he was head brewer at his little microbrewery. Marketing/sales for the bigger microbreweries is the way to go IMHO (especially if you're talking about people wanting Seibel grads and 4yr degrees, then it's not really worth the money put into the education.) I'd thought I'd love to do it myself when I had a family member in the industry, but I didn't want to brew the exact same beer every single time... felt like it would take all the fun out of it. On the plus side, brewery people are probably the coolest people to work around.

Just my $.02

Old 05-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 30

It's a tough industry to break into for very little reward. Networking is hugely important, as well as being in the right place at the right time. Still, without a brewing education, expect to start in the bottling line if you plan to work for an established micro.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
HollisBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I dont know how many breweries are in NH but I got into the industry by attending siebel (taking classes online currently) and applying to every brewery remotely close to me. I sent actual letters through snail mail with my resume and cover letter, only managed to get one call back but I did get a good position in that brewery.
My boss told me he gets emails every day and about 3 letters per week so you have to do something to stand out.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 193 Posts

It definitely has to be challenging to find one of these positions because so many homebrewers, would be pro brewers and beer enthusiasts want these positions and they are competing against regular people just looking for a job. Especially since a good portion of those beer geeks, once they find out how grueling the work is, probably disappear after a week or two.

Breweries should not be taking in volunteers to work for free. It's illegal -- but yes, I know many, many breweries do it.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #20
cayergeau
Recipes 

Despite how the pay sounds and how hard the work is, I still would like to get into the industry. I'd rather be making small amounts of money if it's a job that I love instead of making more money at a job that I can't stand. I interviewed several times for a job selling DirecTV subscriptions inside of big box stores, and that seemed like a miserable way to make a buck. If they can offer me full time work or damn near it at a salary that I can live off of and still pay the bills and have a little set aside, then that's perfectly alright.

Also, in response to BackPorch saying that brewery people are the coolest to work around, this is yet another reason I want to break into this. If I'm working at a good job with a bunch of morons, then that's going to suck the fun out of the job real quick as well. If I'm working a fun job with fun people, that's just peachy to me.