Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > STC 1000 "Ebay" Temperature Controller Build
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #81
stratmaster1029
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Saltsburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 10
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by demons210 View Post
Ok, so I got my temp controller built and it seems to be working good but I have one question. Can you drill into the side of a fridge? Just the old school fridge on bottom and freezer on top fridge. I want to mount my controller to the side of it but don't know if I will drill into lines and destroy my fridge. Any input would be helpful.
I saw a guy on youtube drill a hole through the outter skin and then use a paper clip to "feel around" to see if there were any coolant lines...just an idea.


stratmaster1029 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #82
Monkfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New England
Posts: 88
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
I think that the coolant lines in a fridge are generally in the back... but I am not sure and I wouldn't drill. Maybe you can find a service manual for your fridge?
I thought the same...then I drilled my first fridge and got the hiss of the "hey you just bought a new paperweight" sound. Damn those lines were right under the skin sheet metak. I'll never drill a fridge (or wear a lifejacket) again.


Monkfish is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:34 AM   #83
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 918
Liked 215 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkfish View Post

I thought the same...then I drilled my first fridge and got the hiss of the "hey you just bought a new paperweight" sound. Damn those lines were right under the skin sheet metak. I'll never drill a fridge (or wear a lifejacket) again.
Dude that sucks. Was it brand new?
highgravitybacon is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #84
stratmaster1029
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Saltsburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 10
Likes Given: 2

Default

Running your drill in reverse is a good call here as it will take a while and not "jump" through the sheet metal and into the lines...maybe
stratmaster1029 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #85
Melchizedek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Quebec, Quebec
Posts: 21
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Hi,

I ordered the STC-1000 from eBay and am waiting to receive it. However, I cannot find a big enough project enclosure. Here in Quebec, there aren't any RadioShacks anymore, and TheSource only carries smaller enclosures.

I found this on eBay : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Plastic-Proje...ht_3095wt_1163

Would it work, and is it worth $16? (I see that you paid your RadioShack enclosure more like $6...)
Melchizedek is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #86
stratmaster1029
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Saltsburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 10
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchizedek View Post
Hi,

I ordered the STC-1000 from eBay and am waiting to receive it. However, I cannot find a big enough project enclosure. Here in Quebec, there aren't any RadioShacks anymore, and TheSource only carries smaller enclosures.

I found this on eBay : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Plastic-Proje...ht_3095wt_1163

Would it work, and is it worth $16? (I see that you paid your RadioShack enclosure more like $6...)
That seems a little too shallow. 100mm would be nice. You could probably make it all fit but you are going to be cursing yourself the whole time. If you are just going to have 1 receptacle and the STC-1000 that box would probably work. If you try to cram 2 receptacles and some LED's in there you're going to have a bad day. I've seen people use ammo and cigar boxes, see if you can get creative.
stratmaster1029 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #87
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,839
Liked 157 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchizedek View Post
Would it work, and is it worth $16? (I see that you paid your RadioShack enclosure more like $6...)
Just use a 2-gang electrical box, like I did here.

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Misplaced_Canuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #88
Horseflesh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Woodiville, WA
Posts: 123
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Using a cutout in the switch cover to mount the STC-1000 is a good idea!

I used an electrical junction box of some sort and cut openings with a Dremel tool. It has the advantage of the controls and cables being on opposite sides of the enclosure, but is also a little more work to build.
Horseflesh is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #89
Melchizedek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Quebec, Quebec
Posts: 21
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratmaster1029 View Post
That seems a little too shallow. 100mm would be nice. You could probably make it all fit but you are going to be cursing yourself the whole time. If you are just going to have 1 receptacle and the STC-1000 that box would probably work. If you try to cram 2 receptacles and some LED's in there you're going to have a bad day. I've seen people use ammo and cigar boxes, see if you can get creative.
I can't find what you guys used on the Rona and HomeDepot sites, and I'm pretty sure it's going to cost more than $16... Since I plan on making a basic setup, I think I'll go for the Chinese box.
Melchizedek is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #90
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 18,495
Liked 3372 Times on 3254 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchizedek View Post

I can't find what you guys used on the Rona and HomeDepot sites, and I'm pretty sure it's going to cost more than $16... Since I plan on making a basic setup, I think I'll go for the Chinese box.
I don't know about Rona, but the home depot site is worthless. The box I used doesn't show up on the home depot website, but every home depot I've been in has it. They cost <$10.


__________________
Keezer Soze

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
JuanMoore is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EBay temperature controller problem bloodonblood Kegerators and Keezers 15 02-29-2012 05:27 AM
Ebay Temp controller Displaying "HHH" mikelikesit2000 Fermenters 1 02-22-2012 03:03 PM
Ebay Temperature Controller Problem BigPatBrewer Fermenters 4 01-25-2012 10:15 PM
Reviews for heating element and controller in-one "Electric Sparge/Mashing Heater" kegtoe Brew Stands 26 12-17-2010 09:52 PM
Cheap controller - "freezer conversion thermostat" ThreeDogsNE Kegerators and Keezers 3 06-05-2010 05:36 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS