Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > STC 1000 "Ebay" Temperature Controller Build

Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #81
stratmaster1029
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by demons210 View Post
Ok, so I got my temp controller built and it seems to be working good but I have one question. Can you drill into the side of a fridge? Just the old school fridge on bottom and freezer on top fridge. I want to mount my controller to the side of it but don't know if I will drill into lines and destroy my fridge. Any input would be helpful.
I saw a guy on youtube drill a hole through the outter skin and then use a paper clip to "feel around" to see if there were any coolant lines...just an idea.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #82
Monkfish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
I think that the coolant lines in a fridge are generally in the back... but I am not sure and I wouldn't drill. Maybe you can find a service manual for your fridge?
I thought the same...then I drilled my first fridge and got the hiss of the "hey you just bought a new paperweight" sound. Damn those lines were right under the skin sheet metak. I'll never drill a fridge (or wear a lifejacket) again.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:34 AM   #83
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkfish View Post

I thought the same...then I drilled my first fridge and got the hiss of the "hey you just bought a new paperweight" sound. Damn those lines were right under the skin sheet metak. I'll never drill a fridge (or wear a lifejacket) again.
Dude that sucks. Was it brand new?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #84
stratmaster1029
Recipes 

Running your drill in reverse is a good call here as it will take a while and not "jump" through the sheet metal and into the lines...maybe

Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #85
Melchizedek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi,

I ordered the STC-1000 from eBay and am waiting to receive it. However, I cannot find a big enough project enclosure. Here in Quebec, there aren't any RadioShacks anymore, and TheSource only carries smaller enclosures.

I found this on eBay : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Plastic-Proje...ht_3095wt_1163

Would it work, and is it worth $16? (I see that you paid your RadioShack enclosure more like $6...)

Old 12-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #86
stratmaster1029
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchizedek View Post
Hi,

I ordered the STC-1000 from eBay and am waiting to receive it. However, I cannot find a big enough project enclosure. Here in Quebec, there aren't any RadioShacks anymore, and TheSource only carries smaller enclosures.

I found this on eBay : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Plastic-Proje...ht_3095wt_1163

Would it work, and is it worth $16? (I see that you paid your RadioShack enclosure more like $6...)
That seems a little too shallow. 100mm would be nice. You could probably make it all fit but you are going to be cursing yourself the whole time. If you are just going to have 1 receptacle and the STC-1000 that box would probably work. If you try to cram 2 receptacles and some LED's in there you're going to have a bad day. I've seen people use ammo and cigar boxes, see if you can get creative.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #87
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Just use a 2-gang electrical box, like I did here.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #88
Horseflesh
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Using a cutout in the switch cover to mount the STC-1000 is a good idea!

I used an electrical junction box of some sort and cut openings with a Dremel tool. It has the advantage of the controls and cables being on opposite sides of the enclosure, but is also a little more work to build.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #89
Melchizedek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratmaster1029 View Post
That seems a little too shallow. 100mm would be nice. You could probably make it all fit but you are going to be cursing yourself the whole time. If you are just going to have 1 receptacle and the STC-1000 that box would probably work. If you try to cram 2 receptacles and some LED's in there you're going to have a bad day. I've seen people use ammo and cigar boxes, see if you can get creative.
I can't find what you guys used on the Rona and HomeDepot sites, and I'm pretty sure it's going to cost more than $16... Since I plan on making a basic setup, I think I'll go for the Chinese box.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #90
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3372 Times on 3254 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:

I can't find what you guys used on the Rona and HomeDepot sites, and I'm pretty sure it's going to cost more than $16... Since I plan on making a basic setup, I think I'll go for the Chinese box.
I don't know about Rona, but the home depot site is worthless. The box I used doesn't show up on the home depot website, but every home depot I've been in has it. They cost <$10.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash