Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary Fermenter

Old 05-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
tomitillo26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary Fermenter

Iam brewing a SF style Pale Ale. The directions recommend transferring the beer to a secondary fermenter. Is this really necessary? Can I just let it sit in the carboy an extra day or two and then bottle? Thanks

Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Secondaries are not necessary. Lots of brewers here do primary only.

I personally use secondaries - I find that I get less trub in my bottling bucket - but it's a personal call.

That being said - ignore kit directions. They'll have you rush beer into bottles, where an extra week or two of fermenting would lead to better tasting beer.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

This is the most discussed topic on here, it has been readily covered. I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic thread. Every discussion, question, answer, citation, etch is in that thread....

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Many of us leave our beer in primary for a month minimum then bottle.....We find out beers to be clearer and better tasting.

I suggest you read that thread, and experiment for yourself, and make up your own mind.

There's thousands of threads on here already, where folks have ventured their opinions, and argued incessantly, but it ultimately comes down to what works for you......

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
janivar123
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There are almost as many opinions on this as there are home brewers
Myself if it will sit 2 months or less i dont use a secondary

Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
WileECoyote
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Hello, AGING your beer IS going to make it BETTER, that being said lol, use primary longer or use A primary/secondary combo to age your beer. Both homebrew dad and Revvy know what their talking about, any advice from them is good advice.

I am using a combo of what I have read on this forum, Im using primary for 2 weeks (instead of following kit instructions of 1 week) then transferring to a secondary for a minimum of 2 weeks or (longer) until my beer reaches the Final Gravity it should, or within reason.

I figure most likely you can't go wrong if you use a bit of both methods.

The longer the yeasties have to clean up your beer, the better it will be, and if you are bottling, don't forget! letting it have plenty of time to carb up and bottle age properly (3 weeks minimum) is what I was told, I just was asking about this, and thought you might be interested.

Congrats on Brewing your own beer!

Cheers
WiliECoyote

Sorry janivar123 was typing when you posted, yes I type like a snail runs, didn't mean to leave you out of my post

Old 05-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Hello, AGING your beer IS going to make it BETTER, that being said lol, use primary longer or use A primary/secondary combo to age your beer. Both homebrew dad and Revvy know what their talking about, any advice from them is good advice.
Psh, thanks for the kind words, but I'm still a newbie. Revvy knows what he is talking about. Jlem, Yooper, Malticulous... these are the sorts of people that know what they are talking about.

I'm a quick study, and I'm passionate, but I'm still learning!

Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
raven1a
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I say, it's a hobby. If you want to find out what a secondary will do for your beer, do it.

I bought a Better Bottle because I wanted one and wanted to see the differences between using a secondary and not using one. I dry hopped my first IPA in the secondary. I'm dry hopping my Two Hearted clone in the primary right now.

I'm starting to lean towards using the BB for longer term aging before bottling, to free up a primary for another brew.

You can learn alot of things through books and the guys here. But, the best way is through experience, IMHO. You may screw up a batch or two. But, that'll probably happen anyway. Experiment. Have fun. RDWHAHB.

Just my $.02.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
WileECoyote
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Psh, thanks for the kind words, but I'm still a newbie. Revvy knows what he is talking about. Jlem, Yooper, Malticulous... these are the sorts of people that know what they are talking about.

I'm a quick study, and I'm passionate, but I'm still learning!
Im right there with you homebrewdad, you have given me good advice, Im guessing that 20 years from now, we will still be learning about brewing. lol

Hey, speaking of being a newbie, I just brewed my 2nd recipe of my own, and it was my 6th batch to date, I have still yet to drink any of my brews lmao, 4 batches bottled, 1 in secondary, and 1 in primary, the spare bedroom is full of ice chest (bottle conditioning) and 2 swamp cooler tubs.

Cheers
WiliECoyote

Old 05-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
dford
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Not really necessary but if you got space and the extra fermenter , it just adds to the "cool" factor of making beer.