My First Homebrew Competition - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My First Homebrew Competition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
johnnyjs1
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 10


This past weekend I entered the first 2 beers I made in a Homebrew Competition. I looked on the hosts website and saw my scores. 28 for my Kiwi Blonde Ale, and a 31 for my Brown Ale. Cant wait to get the score cards mailed to me so i can see the comments and get feedback. Since I've never entered before...are those scores decent??

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
TopherM
 
TopherM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 3,974
Liked 449 Times on 354 Posts


Anything above 30 is good! Congrats!
__________________
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
johnnyjs1
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
Anything above 30 is good! Congrats!
Woohoo!!! I was hoping they would turn out decent since i didnt follow any recipe....both were sort of experimental. The guy at the local homebrew supply store kept telling me "You cant use those hops with that style, you cant use that grain for that style, blah, blah, blah" The funny thing is...he also entered 2 beers in the contest, and both my beers got higher scores than his.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 30,908
Liked 4855 Times on 3272 Posts


I wouldn't say anything less than 30 is "great", but for sure a solid start, especially for a home made recipe. There will be some feedback you can use. Thing is, you may only need to tweak one or two small things to get in the high 30s to low 40s.

And the homebrew store guy may be right about this or that, but there is a myriad of potential pitfalls other than ingredients. And he may have been shooting for a very difficult style too...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
johnnyjs1
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I wouldn't say anything less than 30 is "great", but for sure a solid start, especially for a home made recipe. There will be some feedback you can use. Thing is, you may only need to tweak one or two small things to get in the high 30s to low 40s.

And the homebrew store guy may be right about this or that, but there is a myriad of potential pitfalls other than ingredients. And he may have been shooting for a very difficult style too...
Both his beers where entered in the same styles as mine: Blonde Ale, and Brown Ale. For some reason the guy just rubs me the wrong way...acts like a know-it-all. When I make beer...I like to experiment with ingredients that I think will make my beer taste good. The $30 it costs me to experiment, whether the beer comes out awesome or just plain terrible...is worth it to me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
tre9er
 
tre9er's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Just got the scoresheets back on my first contest beer too and scored 31 (30 and 32) total. It was a Kolsch with a touch of honey malt but both judges felt it needed more hops. No process flaws or other negatives listed. My neighbor is a homebrewer of many years and he suggested I fermented a tad too low for a Kolsch.

Congrats on the contest!
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #7
johnbrain
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
San Marcos, CA
Posts: 115


I've entered my beer in my first homebrew competition. I think it's slightly overcarbed but it's the only girl I have to bring to the dance. Just hoping for helpful feedback.

If the competition guide says just bring your beer and "we'll bag it & tag it" should I NOT put a label on the bottle? There is zero mention of labels, and googling competitions I've seen guys dinged for no labels in some comps, and guys dinged for having labels in other comps.

Suggestions?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
tre9er
 
tre9er's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrain View Post
I've entered my beer in my first homebrew competition. I think it's slightly overcarbed but it's the only girl I have to bring to the dance. Just hoping for helpful feedback.

If the competition guide says just bring your beer and "we'll bag it & tag it" should I NOT put a label on the bottle? There is zero mention of labels, and googling competitions I've seen guys dinged for no labels in some comps, and guys dinged for having labels in other comps.

Suggestions?
You could always bring the label with you and ask when you arrive. I'd write on the bottle-cap perhaps so at least they don't lose your beer. Last time I labeled and wrote on cap, then emailed a follow-up to make sure they knew which was mine since the label didn't react to condensation very well.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
IMNOTL8
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 25
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Entering a competition this weekend... Is it necessary to come up with some clever name for my beer? Or is entering it in a specific category and calling it for example... Imperial Pilsner, enough?

Didn't know if giving it a name helps or hinders!

Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,416
Liked 7843 Times on 5496 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by IMNOTL8 View Post
Entering a competition this weekend... Is it necessary to come up with some clever name for my beer? Or is entering it in a specific category and calling it for example... Imperial Pilsner, enough?

Didn't know if giving it a name helps or hinders!

Thanks!
Names don't matter. The judges see "entry #402. Kolsch. Style 6C"

Everything else that would make a beer stand out is removed, and/or disqualified.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first competition RobbyBeer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 26 06-06-2012 03:54 PM
How to mail your homebrew in for competition Kmcogar Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 04-20-2012 06:30 PM
First Competition EzMak24 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 08-27-2011 08:39 PM
first competition cowperc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 03-13-2011 04:11 AM
first homebrew competition - stout sour flavor? JLem Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 05-20-2009 05:02 AM


Forum Jump