Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > First post, second brew, got a problem!

Old 05-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
jwparris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First post, second brew, got a problem!

Hello from South Carolina! I began brewing a few months ago as stress relief from a 1 hour daily commute and 2-year-old twin boys (who are pretty awesome, by the way!). Anyway, I'm into my second brew and I have what I think is a pretty big problem.

My first brew was an Irish Red malt extract kit from Midwest, and it turned out pretty tasty. I only did a 1 stage fermentation in the brew bucket. My second brew is a Belgian Whitbier, also a malt extract kit from Midwest. It recommended a secondary fermentation, so I fermented in the brew bucket for 8 days, then siphoned into a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. After about 7 days in secondary, everything was fine. I went out of town for a few days, came back, and found the stopper lying beside the carboy. There is no head, but there was no head on my first brew right before I bottled. I believe my biggest problem at this point is contamination. How screwed am I?

Thanks!

JP

Old 05-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
GySgtLynn
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Taste it...

Primary: Pale Ale

Secondary: None

Bottled: None

Keg: Chipotle Stout

Old 05-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 26

maybe yes, maybe no. Likely not. Taste it and if it taste like flat beer, bottle it. This happened to me when I started and had no problem and I am still alive.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
Thirstease
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So you bottled the beer and it pours with no head?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
jwparris
Recipes 

No, Thirstease, sorry. My first brew had head for the first week of fermentation, then I noticed it beginning to dwindle. At that point, I added the priming sugar, bottled it, and after another 10 days or so, I tried the first bottle and it had a nice head.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll taste it and go from there. Hopefully it's fine, I was really looking forward to this one!