To bottle or waste of time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoryss364

Reaction score
I started my first extract kit on April 23. The instructions said to let it ferment for 7-10Laura days and once fermentation stopped bottle immediately. Unfortunately I got busy around that time and haven't had a chance to do it. It's been in a dark closet with the air lock still in place. Is it still ok to bottle it or would I just be wasting my time? It's an American Pale Ale kit by the way.

still good....7-10 days is on the shy side actually, especially if you didn't control fermentation temps in some way.

Good, I've been pretty excited about this. I guess I'll go buy a few bottles today. Thanks for the quick replies.

How long has it been? The main thing is letting it sit on the yeast bed too long past fermentation can cause undesirable taste.

How long has it been? The main thing is letting it sit on the yeast bed too long past fermentation can cause undesirable taste.

This would require many months! Many years ago it was accepted that you need to get the beer off the yeast soon after the active fermentation had finished. It is now pretty well accepted that you should leave the beer alone for 3 -5 weeks. Some have left their beer on the yeast for six months or more for various reasons and have had no problems.

Oh Myth!!!!Excthuthe me myth!!!

4 months on primary is optimum.....oh wait, that is a myth too!!!!

Better 4 months than 7 days for a beginning brewer in my estimations.

Oy.....Folks have left their beers in primary on yeast cakes for upwards of a year with NO undesirable tastes. Can we quit perpetuating that myth that has been largely disproven by everyone, including John Palmer who inadvertantly spread that, and has since retracted his opinion....

I've left beers six months + and they were fine, and tasted and enjoyed by judges.

Back