Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Wort Chiller?

Old 11-01-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
GABrewboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wort Chiller?

I was thinking about making my own wort chiller. I read online Mr Palmer's instructions on how to do this, but I cannot find any copper tubing in 30-50' lengths like he describes. I went to my lowe's and home depot and they only sold either 10' lengths or sold refrigiration tubing. Besides this, everyone I have seen making them says you can make them for about $25, but the 50' refridge tubing itself was almost $30. I am totally confused and could use some direction here........Thanks so much!!

Old 11-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Refrigeration tubing is copper tubing...you should be able to find a 25' length. I got 3/8" od tubing, some 3/8" id plastic tubing, a garden hose adapter, and some mini hose clamps for ~$35.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:08 PM   #3
GABrewboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, thanks for the input! I will go to my local Ace Hardware store then to see if they have this. Like I said, Lowes and Home depot didn't have this at all.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 218

I couldn't find 25' at Home D so I ended up using 20'. Still works fine, but more coils the better naturally...

Old 11-01-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
GABrewboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Interesting, because all I could find was 10' sections or one 50' for $30.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:45 AM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Another good source is heating and airconditioning supply places. You can even get aluminum tubing! I'm seriously considering this, as I'm tired of cleaning the corrosion off of the copper tubing.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:52 AM   #7
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Glad you mentioned the corrosion issue. I've been thinking about building one and had wondered about that. Anybody ever priced stainless tubing ? Is there such a thing?

Old 11-02-2005, 01:26 AM   #8
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Copper is/was at a premium so your build cost will more than likely be more than those posted. Big box homecenters stock type L 1/4 i.d (3/8 o.d.) tubing in 10, 20 and 50 foot lengths and everthing else needed to build a cfc. It just might take as long to pick out everything you need as it will to actually build one depending on your knowledge of the harware.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:59 AM   #9
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmonkey
Glad you mentioned the corrosion issue. I've been thinking about building one and had wondered about that. Anybody ever priced stainless tubing ? Is there such a thing?

Don't do it man, stainless is a poor conductor of heat and the whole purpose of the wort chiller is to transfer the heat from the wort to the water that's leaving the chiller and the conductor between the two is the metal tubing. Copper is the way to go.

If you really feel that you need to clean your wort chiller, just dump a quart of vinegar in a 5 gallon bucket and add water. Soak the ciller in there for a short while and it will be bright and shiny.

Heck I just rinse mine after each brewing secession and store it on a shelf in the house. When I need to use it, I just rinse it off and put it in the brew pot during the last minute of the boil. She comes out bright and shiny each and every time. Yes, I know where the oxidation went. Hey, I've been drinking and bathing with water from copper tubing all my life. I ain't dead yet.

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 11-02-2005, 02:15 AM   #10
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Good point. I'm the first to confess that I brew with well water and don't even give it a second thought. What was I worried about ? Is 3/8 inch tubing fine ? Is 1/2 inch better ? I know more flow = more cooling, but is there a point where efficiency stops and water waste begins? Will this make me a more sophisticated brewer, or just mo' better, since I won't be cooling my wort for an hour in the bathtub?