Ready for my first Lager, after 80 gals of ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griff777

Reaction score
Bought my Holiday 5.0 fermentation "chamber" from Lowes today, 159.00 less 20.00 coupon.

I plan on removing nearly two litres of wort after 15 minutes of planned 90 minute boil, chill it quickly and begin my starter with that. I plan on setting the starter and wort into my "chamber" at 50 degrees, and pitch the next day or two at high krausen. That way they both will be acclimated to the same temperature. I realize I am taking a chance waiting a day or so to pitch, but have had no issues doing this with my ales(waiting overnite on many of them).

After a week or two remove the fermenter and let warm to 61 or so, then lager at about 40 for a month or two.

Living in Sacramento, our ground water is about 75 and my swimming pool is about that so getting the wort down to 50 it tough for me. I do have an immersion chiller and pre chiller that I put in ice bucket. I guess what I am wondering here is there any major problems with my idea other than the typical risk of infection by waiting to pitch. I will be using on wyeast smack pack for the starter.

Of couse I will aerate with my agitator and drill just before pitching. First batch will be Midwest czech pilsner kit. I plan on doing Octoberfest and Fosters clone kits too then formulate my own recipes this winter.

After working the temp down to Lager temp, then I plan on moving to a temp controlled freezer and repeat the process for the other two kits.

Any comments? Suggestions?

Are you using a stir plate for your Starter? If not, you may need a bigger starter. I brewed a Pilsner today and I took the whole week to step up my starter. I do 5.5 gallon batches and Mr.Malty suggested a 9 liter starter without a stir plate or 3.4 with. Just something to think about, enjoy:mug:

after I posted I was thinking "i should have mentioned i use a stir plate. the beers are around 1.04 to 1.05ish nothing too high OG

Back