Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Does Caramunich= Caramel Malt+Munich Malt?

Old 05-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
NigeltheBold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Does Caramunich= Caramel Malt+Munich Malt?

I'm basically making a recipe that uses caramel/crystal 60L and some munich malt in equal amounts. I want a bit of the maltiness from the munich and a bit of caramelly/sweetness from the caramel. Would Caramunich III add both of those qualities? Or just one or the other?

In other words, instead of using both caramel/crystal 60L AND munich, could I just use caramunich III instead? If so, how much should I use? The recipe calls for 12oz. of caramel 60L and 12 oz. of munich.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
TimTrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigeltheBold
I'm basically making a recipe that uses caramel/crystal 60L and some munich malt in equal amounts. I want a bit of the maltiness from the munich and a bit of caramelly/sweetness from the caramel. Would Caramunich III add both of those qualities? Or just one or the other?

In other words, instead of using both caramel/crystal 60L AND munich, could I just use caramunich III instead? If so, how much should I use? The recipe calls for 12oz. of caramel 60L and 12 oz. of munich.
No. I see your point, but those are 2 different malts. I'm a big fan of the caramunich malts and use them a lot, but its a crystal malt. Munich is a base malt.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
jeburgdo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTrone View Post
No. I see your point, but those are 2 different malts. I'm a big fan of the caramunich malts and use them a lot, but its a crystal malt. Munich is a base malt.
Are you sure though? I mean, I know they're different malts, but I was under the impression CaraMunich was Munich malt that had the "crystallization" process done to it. I could be wrong there, but in regards to OP's question of will CaraMunich add maltiness and sweetness, I think you will get something similar to using crystal and Munich malt by using CaraMunich. It may not be exactly the same, but probably close to what you are looking for.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeburgdo View Post
Are you sure though? I mean, I know they're different malts, but I was under the impression CaraMunich was Munich malt that had the "crystallization" process done to it. I could be wrong there, but in regards to OP's question of will CaraMunich add maltiness and sweetness, I think you will get something similar to using crystal and Munich malt by using CaraMunich. It may not be exactly the same, but probably close to what you are looking for.
That's the same thing I read somewhere (crystallized munich malt). I just wanted to hear others' opinions.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

You'll end up with too much caramel if you try that. Caramunich does start with Munich malt instead of a Pils malt. But you'd still be getting double the caramels.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I do believe it is made from munich malt, or at least made to have similarities to munich malt. The reality is though is crystal malts can be very different. US crystal 60 vs british crystal 65 vs caramunich III are all dextrin rich crystal malts, but very different overall flavors.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
You'll end up with too much caramel if you try that. Caramunich does start with Munich malt instead of a Pils malt. But you'd still be getting double the caramels.
I may have confused you. The original recipe calls for 12 oz. munich and 12 oz. of caramel 60. I didn't plan on using 24 oz. of CaraMunich. If I do go with the caramunich, I don't think I'll be using much more than 12 oz. total.

Would I still be "doubling" my caramel if I only used around 12 oz. of Caramunich?

Old 05-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5936 Times on 4231 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigeltheBold View Post
I may have confused you. The original recipe calls for 12 oz. munich and 12 oz. of caramel 60. I didn't plan on using 24 oz. of CaraMunich. If I do go with the caramunich, I don't think I'll be using much more than 12 oz. total.

Would I still be "doubling" my caramel if I only used around 12 oz. of Caramunich?
No. But you'd be leaving out the "Munich" as caramunich isn't really a replacement for Munich malt- it's a fine substitute for crystal though.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No. But you'd be leaving out the "Munich" as caramunich isn't really a replacement for Munich malt- it's a fine substitute for crystal though.
So when Munich malt goes through the "crystallization" process, it loses its "Munich-Like" qualities? So what's the point of even making CaraMunich malt if all you're going to end up with is just another caramel malt? Why even call it CaraMunich?

Old 05-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5936 Times on 4231 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigeltheBold View Post
So when Munich malt goes through the "crystallization" process, it loses its "Munich-Like" qualities? So what's the point of even making CaraMunich malt if all you're going to end up with is just another caramel malt? Why even call it CaraMunich?
Each maltster makes it a little differently- Weyermann's Caraaroma malt is a crystal malt like crystal 120L, but it's slightly different. English maltsters (like Baird) make crystal malts that are very like Briess' crystal malts, but subtly different as well. They are alike in color and level of sweetness, but not exactly the same.

CaraMunich is a very nice crystal malt, with a medium sweet and toasty flavor. It's a nice crystal malt. It's not a replacement for Munich malt, though, any more than Briess' crystal 60L made from US 6-row is a replacement for the 6-row base malt!

Think of it that way- when you use US crystal, you don't just leave out the US two-row. It's not an "instead of" type of malt- it's simply a crystal malt.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans