Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Surly Bitter Brewer BJCP Category

Old 05-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
TFrankMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Surly Bitter Brewer BJCP Category

Has anyone ever entered Northern Brewer's Surly Bitter Brewer Pro Kit into a BJCP sanctioned event, if so what category/subcategory did you enter it into? Any results? I've brewed some up and I quite like it, however I'm not sure if it fits into the British Pale Ale category/subcategories very well due to the aggressive hop profile?

Any suggestions?

Old 05-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

If anything, I think maybe 8C would be appropriate (Extra Special/Strong Bitter), although at 4.1% you could probably swing 8B.

I've never had the beer, but everything seems pretty OK for that style. It uses pale malt, crystal and a little black malt for color, which is OK by the guidelines for either style. The IBU is technically in range for either style, although nobody actually tests IBU, its more about perceived bitterness. ESB can go up to 50 IBU though. All English Pale Ale/ Bitter styles are allowed to have American hops and American hop characters in the aroma, flavor etc as outlined in the guide. The english yeast should help with he character too.