Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Starter forming over for a day

Old 05-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
justcopen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Starter forming over for a day

Hello all, I made a starter for a Barleywire I plan on brewing. The starter has been foaming over for a day and ran all over the counter. Did I lose all my yeast? You guys think it is still ok to use?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-19_10-15-05_865.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	61853  

Old 05-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

It's fine. Get a clean wet paper towel and wipe it. If you take it off the stir plate, it might calm down.

This is the exact reason why I place my stir plate in a gallon ziplock.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1082 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post

This is the exact reason why I place my stir plate in a gallon ziplock.
^That's a good idea. As is the damp paper towel and a li'l RDWing.... OP, your starter's fine, but you may want to take it off the plate 'til it settles down a bit.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Clementine
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had that problem quite a bit before I up graded my flask. I did an experiment where I caught the excess yeast, I probably lost about 20% of my yeast. The problem with Ales is as they are top fermenting the yeast ends up in the krausen. Hence the practice of harvesting healthy yeast from krausens of a brew.

Clem

Old 05-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
justcopen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info. Good thing I sealed the new counter tile. The wife would be a little mad if I stained the new grout. She is already a little bent that decided to brew and not finish the back splash this weekend.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
justcopen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wow 20%. I have an extra vile of yeast should I add it to the wort with the starter to be safe? First barley wine I don’t want it to come out low on alcohol

Old 05-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I just use fermcap when making the starter wort. No foam over issues then.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 05-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Clementine
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What is the expected OG? how long until you brew. Last time I did a strong beer, the intended OG was going to be 1.080, it went 1.094 due to better efficiency (I thought higher strength would lead me to loose out on efficiency, it did but not as much as expected). To compensate for this, I took the dreggs of the starter and saved a small amount of wort (.5L then diluted it 3:1) and threw this on the stir plate for 18hrs and crashed it for 8 hrs and pitched when I added a second lot of O2 at the 24hr mark. That IIPA went high order (read big bang) for about 48hrs and finished off 95% of the fermenting in 72hrs FG was 1.014 (I stepped mashed to get really fermentable wort) fermentation temp profile started at 60F ramped to 6F5 held there until if blew off and then I tried cooling to down to slow fermentation but my cooling could hardly keep up with the heat put off by the brew.

If you have time you can crash cool, decant and then save that yeast in a sanatized jar and do the same process above with the dreggs of the starter accept with starter wort instead of diluted wort from the batch. There is always different ways to skin a cat.

Clem