Georgia, Tennesee Trip - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Georgia, Tennesee Trip

Old 05-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
FreshZ

Recipes 

Dec 2011
St. Louis, MO
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm taking a trip starting next Saturday to Savannah and Atlanta with stops in Nashville and Chattanooga. I'm doing the SweetWater brewery tour and stopping by Brewmasters Warehouse already, but I was wondering about some good beer that is available down there. Anything local or something I just can't get here in Missouri? Any good beer stores you can recommend? Thanks.
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

Old 05-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
dedhedjed

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Nashville, check out Yazoo Brewing and Jackalope Brewing Company... Flying Saucer and 12 south taproom are great beer bars.

Atlanta- SweetWater like you mentioned... ( I'm biased, I brew there), Red Hare Brewing Company is in Marietta and has a taproom and tours, Five Seasons is a great brewpub (there are three of them), Wrecking Bar and Twains are also great brewpubs, head brewer at Twains was a homebrewer before he got the job there. Hop City is a great bottle shop with some Homebrew supplies and a ton of growler fill options, and is next door to one of the five seasons locations. Ale Yeah is also a solid, smaller bottle shop...

Hope that helps...

Old 05-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
dedhedjed

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

Also, in Savannah check out Moon River Brewing Company... Great brewpub.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Budzu

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Here in Chattanooga there is alot to check out. We have:

Terminal Brewhouse - great restaurant, extremely historical and interesting building, good beer.
Big River Grill - part of Gordon Biersch, consistently good beer, very good food, higher price point
Chattanooga Brewing Company - have a tasting bar only, but worth going to check out. Can find their beers in other local restaurants.
Moccasin Bend Brewing - another tasting bar only, but they feature events like bands and tours of their basement brewery. Beers are very much on the creative/weird side (in the brewer's own words
McHale's Brewhouse and Pub - my own joint here in Hixson area 15 minutes out of Chattanooga. Very small place, some pub foods, nothing in the way of fancy, but I can guarantee some of the best beer anywhere close, and a great variety, 6-8 on tap. It is still a smoking establishment (wish it wasn't...) so if that bothers you, you can always just pick up a growler. If you want to check it out, I'd be happy to show you around the brewery, its 2 bbl electric custom bcs rig.
Cheers, have a great trip, shoot me a line if you'd like to come by a certain time and see the brewery. [email protected]

Old 05-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
FreshZ

Recipes 

Dec 2011
St. Louis, MO
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedhedjed
Nashville, check out Yazoo Brewing and Jackalope Brewing Company... Flying Saucer and 12 south taproom are great beer bars.

Atlanta- SweetWater like you mentioned... ( I'm biased, I brew there), Red Hare Brewing Company is in Marietta and has a taproom and tours, Five Seasons is a great brewpub (there are three of them), Wrecking Bar and Twains are also great brewpubs, head brewer at Twains was a homebrewer before he got the job there. Hop City is a great bottle shop with some Homebrew supplies and a ton of growler fill options, and is next door to one of the five seasons locations. Ale Yeah is also a solid, smaller bottle shop...

Hope that helps...
We've got our son with us. Any or all of those ok for kids? Any serve food as well? I was mainly looking for bottle shops, but we're gonna have to eat as well. If I could slip in a few good places to eat that also have a great beer selection, that would be good.
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...

Old 05-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
FreshZ

Recipes 

Dec 2011
St. Louis, MO
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzu
Here in Chattanooga there is alot to check out. We have:

Terminal Brewhouse - great restaurant, extremely historical and interesting building, good beer.
Big River Grill - part of Gordon Biersch, consistently good beer, very good food, higher price point
Chattanooga Brewing Company - have a tasting bar only, but worth going to check out. Can find their beers in other local restaurants.
Moccasin Bend Brewing - another tasting bar only, but they feature events like bands and tours of their basement brewery. Beers are very much on the creative/weird side (in the brewer's own words
McHale's Brewhouse and Pub - my own joint here in Hixson area 15 minutes out of Chattanooga. Very small place, some pub foods, nothing in the way of fancy, but I can guarantee some of the best beer anywhere close, and a great variety, 6-8 on tap. It is still a smoking establishment (wish it wasn't...) so if that bothers you, you can always just pick up a growler. If you want to check it out, I'd be happy to show you around the brewery, its 2 bbl electric custom bcs rig.
Cheers, have a great trip, shoot me a line if you'd like to come by a certain time and see the brewery. [email protected]
We both smoke, so that sounds great I'll let you know and I really appreciate the offer man.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
dedhedjed

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

Five Seasons has great food, not your typical pub fare. Twains and Wrecking Bar both have good food also, not as fancy as Five Seasons... I bet you can find menus on their websites.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Budzu

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Chattanooga, TN
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshZ View Post
We both smoke, so that sounds great I'll let you know and I really appreciate the offer man.
No problem! Another thing I don't like about having a smoking establishment, our smoking laws require us to only allow customers 21 and over... you mentioned kids. Smoking laws make no sense...
However I typically brew or work before business hours so any visitors before opening are no problem.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
FreshZ

Recipes 

Dec 2011
St. Louis, MO
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedhedjed
Five Seasons has great food, not your typical pub fare. Twains and Wrecking Bar both have good food also, not as fancy as Five Seasons... I bet you can find menus on their websites.
Perfect. Thanks man.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
FreshZ

Recipes 

Dec 2011
St. Louis, MO
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzu

No problem! Another thing I don't like about having a smoking establishment, our smoking laws require us to only allow customers 21 and over... you mentioned kids. Smoking laws make no sense...
However I typically brew or work before business hours so any visitors before opening are no problem.
That's cool man. If I can convince the SWMBO to do a another brewery, we're there.