Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Hopping Temperature effects

Old 05-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Jcoz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Dry Hopping Temperature effects

So this morning I left for work, and wont return until Sunday afternoon, and I am finishing up fermenting a porter and IPA I brewed in the last two weeks.

The IPA in particular was brewed sunday. I had slowly ramped up the temps after fermentation slowed down and the beer was starting to clear, and I put my dry hop addition in before I left. I have researched dry hopping before but forgot to get a tune up lesson before I did this, and now I'm seeing that most people dry hop up to 68F...I had set my fermenter to 72F for the weekend, and then I plan on slowly dropping the temp over the next week to cold crash for a week while I leave town again.

So...how significant of a difference is it for me to have dry hopped at 72 vs 68?

Old 05-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 226

No issue at all, dry hopping at ambient temps is really not a problem as there is no fermentation occurring. As long as you are not dealing with excessive temps you'll be fine and so will the beer!

Old 05-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1082 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Jcoz, I actually prefer to dry hop a bit warmer than ferment temps. I simple let the beer sit at room temp while I dry hop (70-ish). I read an article somewhere where Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River) said that he feels ~70 degrees is the optimal temp for dry hopping, and there's no arguing with that man when it comes to hops aroma.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1274 Times on 875 Posts
Likes Given: 2467

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77
Jcoz, I actually prefer to dry hop a bit warmer than ferment temps. I simple let the beer sit at room temp while I dry hop (70-ish). I read an article somewhere where Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River) said that he feels ~70 degrees is the optimal temp for dry hopping, and there's no arguing with that man when it comes to hops aroma.
Me too

Old 05-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Jcoz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds good, may be a tad high, hopefully it turns out well, no changing what I've done at this point regardless.