American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale - Page 51 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 04:06 AM   #501
Warrenbic
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 7

I decides to give this a try as my first AG, ended up with a 120 min boil due to my 8 gallon pot. OG of 1066 but it smelled awesome and tasted great. After 10 days in fermenter I went to rack and found this nasty thing floating on top...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-843159867.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	97718

Yeast is US-05 and gravity reading I took registered 1015. Smell is not please not but taste was ok.

Thoughts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #502
Warrenbic
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 7

Here is my slight grain and hop alteration


BSF 120 IPA batch #1

Style: American IPA OG: 1.066
Type: All Grain FG: 1.015
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 6.68 %
Calories: 215 IBU's: 68.06
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 8.00 Gal
Color: 11.8 SRM Batch Size: 4.75 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.038 Boil Time: 120 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 10 days @ 70.0F
Secondary 10 days @ 70.0F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
8.00 lbs 66.67 % Briess 2-Row Pale Ale Malt 60 mins 1.037
2.00 lbs 16.67 % Rahr Pale Ale 60 mins 1.037
1.00 lbs 8.33 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 60 mins 1.034
1.00 lbs 8.33 % Wheat, Flaked 60 mins 1.035

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.75 ozs 25.74 Amarillo Gold 60 mins 8.50
0.12 ozs 3.78 Amarillo Gold 45 mins 8.50
0.12 ozs 5.78 Simcoe 45 mins 13.00
0.75 ozs 23.84 Simcoe 20 mins 13.00
0.12 ozs 2.04 Amarillo Gold 15 mins 8.50
0.12 ozs 3.13 Simcoe 15 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs 1.48 Amarillo Gold 1 mins 8.50
1.00 ozs 2.26 Simcoe 1 mins 13.00
1.00 ozs Citra 7 days 13.20
1.00 ozs Amarillo Gold 7 days 8.50
1.00 ozs Simcoe 7 days 13.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 tbsp Irish Moss 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In 60 min @ 154.0F
Add 15.00 qt ( 1.25 qt/lb ) water @ 166.0F
Medium Body Infusion Out 10 min @ 168.0F
Add 20.00 qt water @ 175.0F

Carbonation
(none)

Notes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.833



Sent from my iPhone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #503
shelly_belly
Machine Gun
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
shelly_belly's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Rabbittown, Go Cocks!
Posts: 1,649
Liked 184 Times on 147 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenbic View Post
I decides to give this a try as my first AG, ended up with a 120 min boil due to my 8 gallon pot. OG of 1066 but it smelled awesome and tasted great. After 10 days in fermenter I went to rack and found this nasty thing floating on top...

Attachment 97718

Yeast is US-05 and gravity reading I took registered 1015. Smell is not please not but taste was ok.

Thoughts?
That looks fine to me. Sometimes stuff just wants to stay on top instead of sinking to the bottom.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #504
wookiemofo
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 341
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


So I ran out of amarillo on the dry hop... i got 1 oz simcoe in there and .3 oz amarillo.

What would be a good addition to add? Cascade? Centennial?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #505
straycat
 
straycat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
charlotte
Posts: 200
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


looking to do extract version...is it recommended to keep all the grains the same and just replace the 8lbs of 2-row with the appropriate amount of extract?

recipe from page #1 below ->

Ingredients:
8.0 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
2.0 lbs Toasted Pale Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 60L
0.5 lbs Wheat Flakes
.75 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
.75 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Fermentis US-56 Safale US-56
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
__________________
status = brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #506
bgc
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Seattle, WA
Posts: 12


Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat View Post
looking to do extract version...is it recommended to keep all the grains the same and just replace the 8lbs of 2-row with the appropriate amount of extract?

recipe from page #1 below ->

Ingredients:
8.0 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
2.0 lbs Toasted Pale Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 60L
0.5 lbs Wheat Flakes
Imo - You'd want to sub out all 10 LBS pale malt with extract. You could do a pound or two of English pale to sub for toasted malt. You may want to use malted wheat instead of flaked in your specialty steep to allow for conversion.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #507
BrewinHooligan
 
BrewinHooligan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Mesa, AZ
Posts: 5,117
Liked 1738 Times on 1162 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc View Post
Imo - You'd want to sub out all 10 LBS pale malt with extract. You could do a pound or two of English pale to sub for toasted malt. You may want to use malted wheat instead of flaked in your specialty steep to allow for conversion.
Victory would probably be a better substitute for toasted malt than English Pale
__________________
No yeast, no beer. No beer, no civilization. Therefore, we really have yeast to thank for all our modern-day conveniences and tasty beer

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #508
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Chriso's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Someplace, Nebraska
Posts: 4,683
Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts


I'll disagree with that -- 2# of Victory, in my opinion, would be too powerful & cloying. If you are going to use Victory added to your specialty steeping grains to mimic the effect of toasted malt, I would stick to 8 Oz or less of Victory.

My take on this - and this is just one man's opinion - Is that I would sub out 9# of Malt (meaning, both the 2-Row and Toasted 2-Row from the AG version) for liquid extract. I would then do the following for the specialty steeping grains:
0.5# 2-Row to help conversion
0.5# Victory or other Toasted substitute
0.5# Crystal 60L
0.5# Wheat Flakes

Which, if you go to that extent, you might as well take the Victory back out and replace it with 0.5# Toasted 2-Row Pale since you already are using 1/2# of it and would, most likely, buy a full lb. of 2-Row anyways.

I can go 'round and 'round on this one.
For example, 0.75# 2-Row, 0.5# Caramel 60L, 0.5# Flaked Wheat, and 0.25# Biscuit Malt (I find Biscuit to be more powerful than the Victory malt, even. That may just be my taste buds' fault).
Or, 1.0# Maris Otter, 0.5# Caramel 60L, and 0.5# Flaked Wheat.
Or, 0.5# Vienna, 0.25# Caramel 10L, 0.5# Caramel 60L, 0.5# Flaked Wheat and 0.25# Biscuit Malt.
Or, heck, 1.0# Vienna, 0.5# Caramel 60L, 0.5# Flaked Wheat.
__________________
BROKEN ROBOT BREWING CO.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #509
BrewinHooligan
 
BrewinHooligan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Mesa, AZ
Posts: 5,117
Liked 1738 Times on 1162 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
I'll disagree with that -- 2# of Victory, in my opinion, would be too powerful & cloying. If you are going to use Victory added to your specialty steeping grains to mimic the effect of toasted malt, I would stick to 8 Oz or less of Victory.

My take on this - and this is just one man's opinion - Is that I would sub out 9# of Malt (meaning, both the 2-Row and Toasted 2-Row from the AG version) for liquid extract. I would then do the following for the specialty steeping grains:
0.5# 2-Row to help conversion
0.5# Victory or other Toasted substitute
0.5# Crystal 60L
0.5# Wheat Flakes

Which, if you go to that extent, you might as well take the Victory back out and replace it with 0.5# Toasted 2-Row Pale since you already are using 1/2# of it and would, most likely, buy a full lb. of 2-Row anyways.

I can go 'round and 'round on this one.
For example, 0.75# 2-Row, 0.5# Caramel 60L, 0.5# Flaked Wheat, and 0.25# Biscuit Malt (I find Biscuit to be more powerful than the Victory malt, even. That may just be my taste buds' fault).
Or, 1.0# Maris Otter, 0.5# Caramel 60L, and 0.5# Flaked Wheat.
Or, 0.5# Vienna, 0.25# Caramel 10L, 0.5# Caramel 60L, 0.5# Flaked Wheat and 0.25# Biscuit Malt.
Or, heck, 1.0# Vienna, 0.5# Caramel 60L, 0.5# Flaked Wheat.
I'm sure your suggestions would work just fine, I was making my suggestion based on my personal use of 1# Victory instead of toasted 2-row which turned out really good. The Victory did not come through very strong at all for me. YMMV
__________________
No yeast, no beer. No beer, no civilization. Therefore, we really have yeast to thank for all our modern-day conveniences and tasty beer

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #510
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Chriso's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Someplace, Nebraska
Posts: 4,683
Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts


Aha - The way you worded it, gave me the impression you substituted 2# Victory for 2# Toasted 2-Row per the original recipe. Not just 1#.

I will agree that 1# (while at the top end of how much Victory I would use in a given 5 gallon batch) is still within reason. Just probably not 2#.
__________________
BROKEN ROBOT BREWING CO.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP: Lake Walk Pale Ale USAF_CAVEMAN All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 12-19-2014 01:49 AM
Lake Walk Pale Ale monkeydan Recipes/Ingredients 19 05-29-2011 12:24 PM
dude's lake walk pale ale in extract???? fishnuttoo Extract Brewing 2 04-23-2010 05:21 PM
Lake Walk Pale jagg All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 06-13-2009 03:24 PM
Dude's "Lake Walk" Pale Ale SwAMi75 Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping 14 09-16-2005 08:16 PM


Forum Jump