First Bottled Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrot

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been brewing a little more than a year now, but this is the fist batch I've ever bottled. I have been spoiled because my roommate already had a kegging system, so up until now that's all I've had to worry about.

I bottled yesterday, and the beer tasted great green. Nice hoppy IPA with rye malt. I'm super excited to drink it. However, today I looked at the bottles in the light (can't help myself) and noticed something that could be unusual. I'm not sure if it is, though, as I've never done this before.

I see long "strands" of things that are kind of next to the side of some bottles. I put the strands in quotation marks because that's not really what they are. If I move the bottle back and forth, they sort of stay stationary. I figure that it's probably just yeast that hasn't quite sunk to the bottom. I see stuff like that occasionally in the fermenter.

I'm just ultra paranoid about exploding beer bottles.

Any insight on this?

Its hard to say without a pic, but I had a few bottles where they yeast formed "strands" like what you describe while settling; they went away within 2 weeks of bottling. If in doubt, open a bottle - it'll be pretty obvious (odor, bad taste) if the beer is going off.

Bryan

Back