Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cold crash then lager? Or lager then cold crash?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
ThePonchoKid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, CAN
Posts: 377
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Cold crash then lager? Or lager then cold crash?

I'm ready to lager a pils/lager in the fridge for 6-8 weeks.

Should I cold crash the primary, transfer to keg, and leave it for 8 weeks? Or transfer to secondary, leave it for 8 weeks, and then transfer to keg?


ThePonchoKid is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
RyanWeary
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 133
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

The vessel isn't quite as important as temperature. I rack my lagers directly to kegs for lagering all the time - and I also throw some in carboys. I don't know if there is any difference, but they're all delicious! RDWHAHB!!


__________________
For me, brewing is more than a hobby but less than a career.

Primary: German Pils
Secondary: Belgian Abbey Ale
On Tap: House Pale Ale
RyanWeary is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
ThePonchoKid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, CAN
Posts: 377
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

You think I need to worry about leaving it in the primary at 36F for 8 weeks and then kegging?
ThePonchoKid is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana
Posts: 967
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

My first lager is in the fermenter right now.
Fermentation is complete(50 degrees), as is 2 days at 70 degrees.

My plan now is to cold crash for 2 days at 36 degrees to drop most of the yeast, then transfer to the keg, and lager at 36 for 4 weeks, then carb for 2 weeks, then drink!

It's a Munich Helles, so pretty simple, low gravity brew. I'm hoping for the best.
Layne is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
ThePonchoKid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, CAN
Posts: 377
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Good luck
ThePonchoKid is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,127
Liked 5937 Times on 4232 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePonchoKid View Post
You think I need to worry about leaving it in the primary at 36F for 8 weeks and then kegging?
Rack it to the keg, and THEN lager it. That way you have it off of the yeast cake, for the "cleanest" flavor.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
avidhomebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,552
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Default

I would also throw in that you should seriously consider doing a diacetyl rest for a couple of days at room temperature, then start your lagering.
avidhomebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
TheZer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 156
Liked 31 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Rack it to the keg, and THEN lager it. That way you have it off of the yeast cake, for the "cleanest" flavor.
I have a question about this procedure.

If transfer to keg, then cold crash/lager:
Yes, the beer is off the yeast cake quicker, but there is still lots of yeast in suspension. Won't a mini cake form at the bottom of the keg, and the beer will be on that cake for the entire 8-12 weeks of lagering?

If cold crash, then transfer to keg: The beer is on the cake for the additional time it takes to crash, but now much less yeast transferred into the keg. So, very little to no cake forms in keg. Wouldn't this beer essentially be off the cake 8-12 weeks sooner?

thanks
TheZer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
BigFloyd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 5,163
Liked 721 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZer View Post
I have a question about this procedure.

If transfer to keg, then cold crash/lager:
Yes, the beer is off the yeast cake quicker, but there is still lots of yeast in suspension. Won't a mini cake form at the bottom of the keg, and the beer will be on that cake for the entire 8-12 weeks of lagering?

If cold crash, then transfer to keg: The beer is on the cake for the additional time it takes to crash, but now much less yeast transferred into the keg. So, very little to no cake forms in keg. Wouldn't this beer essentially be off the cake 8-12 weeks sooner?

thanks
I don't think Yooper was addressing the question of crashing before transfer to the keg, just whether it or not was wise to lager in the primary (on the cake).

I think she'd agree with 1) crash a few days, 2) transfer to keg/purge, and then 3) lager in the keg.
BigFloyd is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
freisste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 2,450
Liked 311 Times on 261 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd

I don't think Yooper was addressing the question of crashing before transfer to the keg, just whether it or not was wise to lager in the primary (on the cake).

I think she'd agree with 1) crash a few days, 2) transfer to keg/purge, and then 3) lager in the keg.
Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering the same thing. My guess was that she meant what you explained, but it is nice to have the confirmation. Thanks again!


freisste is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cold crash ETOHonboard Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 04-10-2012 10:08 PM
How to cold crash? Broncoblue Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 10-05-2011 05:41 PM
Must brew be *kept* cold after cold crash? sensibull Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 11-05-2010 07:18 PM
Cold Crash Teufelhunden Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 11-12-2009 01:26 PM
When to cold crash and why? Julohan Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 05-07-2009 06:59 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS