The best wort Chiller - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > The best wort Chiller

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2007, 10:19 PM   #21
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,330
Liked 1765 Times on 1122 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
Well, I'm glad your DIY CFC has held up better than the one I bought. To be fair morebeer.com has stopped selling them because of customer complaints.

This, too is what I do (no-rinse iodophor, not bleach). I still wouldn't call it simple to other chiller sanitizing procedures like Bobby said. You also didn't say how you purge the rinse water out - or do you? This is the other part of getting the CFC ready that annoys me.
Yup, you have to drain into a waste bucket until you get beer, then switch to the fermenter. This is a leg up for the plate chillers... the overall liquid volume is very low both on the wort and cooling sides.

I see claims to the speed of CFC cooling here and there and I want to make it clear that I don't think a gravity fed CFC is any faster than an immersion chiller on 5 gallon batches. The only way this would happen is if you compare "still-wort" immersion chilling. It is true, you need to stir the wort while you cool with an IC. If your ground water is over 70, you'll need icewater pumping or prechilling no matter what so there's no advantage to one chiller or another.

In fact, during the winter when my ground water is 55F, I got 5 gallons to pitching in 8 minutes with an IC. It takes just under 15 minutes to gravity drain though a CFC so the IC has the win there.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
New Stirplates are IN!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #22
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lil' Sparky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Honolulu, HI
Posts: 3,959
Liked 73 Times on 46 Posts


Fair enough. Although I don't have a march pump yet, I do use a wort wizard, so no slow gravity drains for me. I'm completely limited by cooling capacity, and here I do think CFCs/plate chillers have an edge.

It seems like I've been talking a lot about how I don't have a march pump yet. I think this needs to change SOON!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #23
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,330
Liked 1765 Times on 1122 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
Fair enough. Although I don't have a march pump yet, I do use a wort wizard, so no slow gravity drains for me. I'm completely limited by cooling capacity, and here I do think CFCs/plate chillers have an edge.

It seems like I've been talking a lot about how I don't have a march pump yet. I think this needs to change SOON!
So I should anticipate you as a competitive bidder on Ebay's next March 809 offering? I'm looking for one now too... I doesn't make sense to get started on a single tier stand when the lack of said pump won't allow brewing. I still have to get all my couplings welded in and find a nice lot of ball valves and quick disconnects.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
New Stirplates are IN!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

harpsbight Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #24
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,415
Liked 795 Times on 438 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
I may be a bit daft, but how exactly do you use the immersion chiller to filter the wort out of the keggle?
No problem.

Simply remove your wort chiller when the wort is cool...rinse and then wrap a 5 gallon paint strainer around it and then resubmerge slowly into the wort. Inside the chiiler/strainer, there wil be perfectly clear wort in which you'll dip your racking cane and siphon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chiller_Filter_2.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1994

worxman02 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #25
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lil' Sparky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Honolulu, HI
Posts: 3,959
Liked 73 Times on 46 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
So I should anticipate you as a competitive bidder on Ebay's next March 809 offering? I'm looking for one now too... I doesn't make sense to get started on a single tier stand when the lack of said pump won't allow brewing. I still have to get all my couplings welded in and find a nice lot of ball valves and quick disconnects.
Could be...

Actually, I've seen some w/ a Buy It Now price of ~ $90. Not sure if they're always available or not, but that doesn't seem like a bad price. Plus, you don't have to worry about someone else out-bidding you.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #26
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lil' Sparky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Honolulu, HI
Posts: 3,959
Liked 73 Times on 46 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
No problem.

Simply remove your wort chiller when the wort is cool...rinse and then wrap a 5 gallon paint strainer around it and then resubmerge slowly into the wort. Inside the chiiler/strainer, there wil be perfectly clear wort in which you'll dip your racking cane and siphon.

Attachment 1994
BierMuncher - that's a great tip for guys using an immersion chiller! I've seen you post it several times but never given you props.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #27
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,415
Liked 795 Times on 438 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
BierMuncher - that's a great tip for guys using an immersion chiller! I've seen you post it several times but never given you props.
Thanks LS. I've been getting pretty good mileage out of that one pic. It's the one thing about my AG routine than never changes.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #28
sudsmonkey
 
sudsmonkey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2005
Deepest, darkest Eastern NC
Posts: 1,238
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Gotta say that this has been one of the most educational threads I've read in a while. Thanks guys! Especially the filtering tip. That's pretty slick.
__________________
More like a sock monkey, really...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:13 AM   #29
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Jester369's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Vermont
Posts: 1,829
Liked 218 Times on 142 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
Could be...

Actually, I've seen some w/ a Buy It Now price of ~ $90. Not sure if they're always available or not, but that doesn't seem like a bad price. Plus, you don't have to worry about someone else out-bidding you.
Yeah, I just got mine - $90 for the pump, and a flat $10 to ship. It arrived well packed and still in the factory sealed box (tate1560 was the seller)
__________________
The 'Original' Keezer!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:58 AM   #30
drayman86
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 306
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
You also didn't say how you purge the rinse water out - or do you? This is the other part of getting the CFC ready that annoys me.
No need to purge. Just attach the CFC to the boil kettle and run the rinse water out with the first bit of wort. Once the discharge runs pure wort, start filling the fermenter.


 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chilling wort without wort chiller. Moun10 General Techniques 47 10-01-2014 07:42 AM
How to Cool Wort (w/out wort chiller) web250 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 42 09-30-2011 08:58 PM
converting outdoor wort chiller to indoor wort chiller Pauliwankenobi Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 12-30-2008 11:37 AM
wort chiller and water/wort transfer questions chemist308 Equipment/Sanitation 1 03-24-2008 01:33 AM
Wort Chiller noobrewer Equipment/Sanitation 2 03-10-2008 03:56 AM


Forum Jump