Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > The best wort Chiller

Old 06-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #11
HighPlainsDrifter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I had a problem with my tap water not being cool enough in the hot months to be effecient at cooling my wort. So I made this:

The coil on the right is hooked to my faucet and then submerged in ice water. The left coil is the actual wort chiller. This puppy works like a dream and is real easy to make/sanitize. Parts cost me around $35.

It took me both hands just to squeeze it

Old 06-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #12
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default my two cents

I have both an immersion chiller and a therminator. After buying the therminator my beer also increased in clarity. I still use my immersion for a pre-chiller to the therminator. I will say one thing bad about my new chiller, make sure you filter someway before going into the chiller. If you don't, you will never get all the hop pieces out. My dumb ass didn't do this and the next time I brewed and did a quick sanitize I still had more hop pellet pieces coming out. I use a fine hop sack in my grant and pump it through now and haven't had a sigle problem, but that second brew I wanted to use it on had to be immersion chilled. I have learned many many things by screwing up . I vote for plate chiller, either the sherron or the therminator. Knowing what I know now and my latest technique (chilling and recirculating back into the kettle until cold) I would recommend the sherron for the price. I do love my therminator though, and it is put together nicely.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 06-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy
I like the immersion better, remember it is very important to go from boil to below 140f as fast as possible so DMS does not form. With the CFC you still have hot wort waiting to be run through and sitting above 140
I'm not going to say this isn't true - chemically speaking it probably is. What I can say is, it hasn't negatively affected my beer - AT ALL. Take a look at some microbreweries. They use big plate chillers, take longer to chill their entire volume, and don't have a DMS problem.

That said, a march pump is on my short list, and I'll be experimenting with recirculating through the CFC back to the kettle. I have an idea that you should be able to recirculate unrestricted until the wort is down below 140' and then just move the output to the carboy. I'm guessing the overall time is about the same as what I do now since I have to throttle the flow. An added benefit from this is you can start the recirculation at the end of the boil to sanitize the CFC just like an IC. When the boil is done, turn on the cooling water to begin chilling.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #14
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for all your responses. I can see that, as with many things, there is no easy answer to this question. I guess for me, simplicity is paramount as long as I don't jeopordize the quality of my beer.

Off the my LHBS!.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 06-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
drayman86
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky

The CFC is definately more work to sanitize and maintain. I bought one that has vinyl tubing on the outside and it's really been a pain. The tubing has slipped off when it was cold and it constricted. One of the solder points has also broken that I had to fix.

The other thing is a CFC takes more attention to get the temp right in the fermenter. This assumes you're not recirculating the output back into the kettle. If you are, then most of the points I made are moot.
My experience with the CF Chiller is a bit different.

We purchased a conversion kit that contained the ends of the chiiler with compression fittings. Had to get the copper tubing and the outside hose. Assembled the kit and there's been no problems with slippage, coming apart, etc.

Sanitizing: this is pretty simple. Just fill the mash tun or the hot liquor tank with 5 gallons of bleach water. During the last 15 minutes of the boil, run the bleach water through the CF chiller to sanitize, then run through some rinse water.

Temp. of cooled wort: Like any other piece of brewing equipment, it takes some time to develop the technique. After a couple of batches, it's really easy to adjust the chiller water flow to obtain proper wort temp. We measure the temp of the chiller output water. Adjust until the output water is just tepid, and the wort is cooled perfectly.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #16
Jay52
Recipes 

I think the price difference between a CFC and immersion chiller is a wash, when making one yourself, simply because the CFC requires perhaps half the copper to get equivalent results. A 20 foot CFC at 3/8" works very well, and that keeps you from having to purchase an entire 50 ft. coil. If you need to chill the water a little bit, just immerse the CFC itself in cold ice water rather than making a pre-chiller. It's not as effective as a copper pre-chiller, but it will give you though precious few degrees to get you to pitching temps.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #17
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by drayman86
My experience with the CF Chiller is a bit different.

We purchased a conversion kit that contained the ends of the chiiler with compression fittings. Had to get the copper tubing and the outside hose. Assembled the kit and there's been no problems with slippage, coming apart, etc.

Sanitizing: this is pretty simple. Just fill the mash tun or the hot liquor tank with 5 gallons of bleach water. During the last 15 minutes of the boil, run the bleach water through the CF chiller to sanitize, then run through some rinse water.

Temp. of cooled wort: Like any other piece of brewing equipment, it takes some time to develop the technique. After a couple of batches, it's really easy to adjust the chiller water flow to obtain proper wort temp. We measure the temp of the chiller output water. Adjust until the output water is just tepid, and the wort is cooled perfectly.
I wouldn't say running 5 gallons of bleach water and then rinsing is easy especially when the discussed alternative is an immersion chiller which requires no deliberate sanitizing. I agree with recirculating the boiling wort through it is the easy method, but then it's $130 pump too.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #18
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay52
If you need to chill the water a little bit, just immerse the CFC itself in cold ice water rather than making a pre-chiller. It's not as effective as a copper pre-chiller, but it will give you though precious few degrees to get you to pitching temps.
Sorry, but this simply won't work where I live. Our ground water is way too warm, and submersing the CFC in an ice bath wouldn't do it. Even a pre-chiller is only moderately effective. I've found that running the wort from my CFC through a coil in an ice bath is more effective. That's what I've been doing lately.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #19
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drayman86
Well, I'm glad your DIY CFC has held up better than the one I bought. To be fair morebeer.com has stopped selling them because of customer complaints.

This, too is what I do (no-rinse iodophor, not bleach). I still wouldn't call it simple to other chiller sanitizing procedures like Bobby said. You also didn't say how you purge the rinse water out - or do you? This is the other part of getting the CFC ready that annoys me.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #20
anthrobe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been using a immersion chiller with a pre-chiller coil. Since I still do all of my brewing in the kitchen, I just fill one end of the sink with ice and salt water. Then run the output to the drain in the other. Works out pretty well being that the circulating tap water is not cold at all here in Phoenix. I go from boiling to 80 degrees in ~15min.

Secondary1 -
Secondary2 -
On Tap
Tap1 - Kelly's Rasberry Cream Ale 7/11/07
Tap2 - Black Stap Porter (8/25/07)
Tap3 - Hefeweizen 7/05/07
Waiting for tap\Conditioning
Keg1 -
Keg2 -
Keg3 -
Bottles
-