Comments on my IPA recipe? Brewing this sunday!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvh261

Reaction score
Nothing too fancy, but this is what I was planning on. I've only been brewing since January and this will be my first non-kit brew.
I'm expecting it to be a nice balance between a fair bit of bitterness and a nice citrusy finish. Hoping the Chinook will give me a little piney bite. I think I'm on the right track after my 6 month crash-course in homebrewing. Anyone have any thoughts?

5 gallon - Extract w/ Specialty Grains

2.5 gallon boil. Steep grains at 155 degrees for 20 minutes.

Grain:
0.50 lb. American victory
0.50 lb. American crystal 60L
0.50 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)

7 lb. Dry Light malt extract

Hops (pellets):
1 oz. Chinook (12.4% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Chinook (12.4% AA, 45 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 5 min.)

Dry Hop 1 oz. Cascade in secondary a week before bottling.
-----------
I have an oz. of Amarillo that I might try and mix in there or maybe sub for an ounce of Cascade... anyone have any ideas how to best use it?

I'm getting 90+ IBUs in a ~1.065 OG beer. That's really bitter. If that's what you're after, great, but you're probably looking at some pretty serious conditioning time. If it were me, I'd probably skip the 45 minute Chinook addition altogether, move the 5-min Cascade addition to flameout, and split the Amarillo between flameout and dry hop. That's get you to something more like 60ish IBU.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I did indeed end up skipping one of the Chinook additions altogether and changed a few things. I ended up with a 1.064 OG and 67 IBUs which should be much more to my liking. Used a Wyeast Smack Pack (American Ale) and I had fermentation going about 8.5 hours after pitching. Bubbling once per second now. Nice! Not sure if I'm going to dryhop or not, might just leave it be.

Well, I'll put two cents in on the dryhopping. I really like the Amarillo as a dryhop and it'll definitely round out the beer.

Back