Backpacking With Beer - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Backpacking With Beer

Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Katy
Recipes 

May 2012
Missoula, MT

We want to bring home brew into the backcountry with us this summer. I'm looking for alternatives to glass for bottling. Something safe to bottle in and to bring with us. Any suggestions you may have please share! Thanks!!

Old 05-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
step
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Hood River, Oregon
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Well, if you are kegging... this is what I use http://www.hydroflask.com/products/6...l-growler.html I thought it was really heavy the first time I filled it (it is) but then I thought about all the boxes of wine I have backpacked in over the years. This really does keep cold things cold. I left it in the car in the direct sun (mine is black) and it was still ice cold 8hrs later. I usually keep it protected so it keeps temp for a couple days.

Oh yeah, lifetime warranty... and I use it just like a growler and get it filled here and there. Dropped it a couple times full and nothing more than a little dent/scratch. Seriously these things rock.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
duck911
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Loveland, CO, CO
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

For some portable bottling I use a schrader valve mounted in a PET bottle top. It's cheap, nearly unbreakable, and simple to use. Fill with beer (use the no beer gun method as described on this forum), squeeze out the air, cap with the beer at the top of the mouth, then top off with an air chuck mounted to your CO2.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
solbes
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ramsey & Akeley, Mn
Liked 237 Times on 217 Posts

+1 to 2L PET bottles. If you have a kegging system you can use the homemade valves above (or buy carbonator caps). That way you can fill the bottles that are clear of yeast.

You could naturally prime a 2L bottle alternatively, but that yeast would get all mixed up when backpacking. Maybe a hefeweizen would work very well here!
Primary #1: Umlaut my Kölsch VII #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Cab MerMarqeNac Wine
Kegged
: Mugged a Monk Paters
Bottles
: Dark Belgian Strong, Black Raspberry Rhubarb wine, RIS, Carmel Apple Cider, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine, Black Currant wine
On Deck: BGSA

Old 05-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
bchurch
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Mont Clare, Pa
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by step
Well, if you are kegging... this is what I use http://www.hydroflask.com/products/6...l-growler.html I thought it was really heavy the first time I filled it (it is) but then I thought about all the boxes of wine I have backpacked in over the years. This really does keep cold things cold. I left it in the car in the direct sun (mine is black) and it was still ice cold 8hrs later. I usually keep it protected so it keeps temp for a couple days.

Oh yeah, lifetime warranty... and I use it just like a growler and get it filled here and there. Dropped it a couple times full and nothing more than a little dent/scratch. Seriously these things rock.
Thanks for that. I'm definitely picking one of those up for summer!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Katy
Recipes 

May 2012
Missoula, MT

Thank you for the suggestions!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
coypoo
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Cary, NC
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes
+1 to 2L PET bottles. If you have a kegging system you can use the homemade valves above (or buy carbonator caps). That way you can fill the bottles that are clear of yeast.

You could naturally prime a 2L bottle alternatively, but that yeast would get all mixed up when backpacking. Maybe a hefeweizen would work very well here!
Can you not just fill and screw the cap on if filling from a carbonated keg?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
chemman14
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Newbury Park, CA
Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by step View Post

Those things are awesome! I Wish you could fill any container in california :/

Old 05-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
solbes
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ramsey & Akeley, Mn
Liked 237 Times on 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coypoo View Post
Can you not just fill and screw the cap on if filling from a carbonated keg?
I suppose you could, yeah. Might lose a little carbonation but not much. I guess I've done that with growlers before, but I usally drink them in the next 2-3 hours.
Primary #1: Umlaut my Kölsch VII #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Cab MerMarqeNac Wine
Kegged
: Mugged a Monk Paters
Bottles
: Dark Belgian Strong, Black Raspberry Rhubarb wine, RIS, Carmel Apple Cider, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine, Black Currant wine
On Deck: BGSA

Old 05-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts

You can prime in plastic soda bottles and you can certainly fill hose same bottles from a keg if that's how you roll.

I can't think of anything that's lighter and safer than plastic soda bottles. Except maybe plastic beer bottles...