Anyone used cardamom in a brew yet? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone used cardamom in a brew yet?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
SkinPig

Recipes 

Feb 2012
St. Paul, Minnesota
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got a recipe (Wit) that I'm looking at adding some cardamom. It will likely be a small amount, given how strong the spice is (thinking 1/2 oz for 10 gallon batch, maybe a little more).

My question is two fold: has anyone used cardamom in a brew? If so, how much?

Secondly, which type of cardamom did you use: green, white or black?

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Taylorsville, Utah
Liked 85 Times on 67 Posts

Used the black and did crush it.. I only put 9 seeds in with a 1/2oz of coriander and it overwhelmed it.. That was a 5gal batch of wit..
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
spearko520
Recipes 

Dec 2011
allentown, PA
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts

i've used it a few times- the pods that the seeds are in are sometimes green and sometimes white (i think when they are drier- we cook with it a lot), but the little seeds inside are always black, in my experience. i usually use like two or three pods- so maybe like a couple dozen little seeds. it can be a pretty strong flavor, unless you are used to it- kind of like anise.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Indy
Liked 103 Times on 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster
Used the black and did crush it.. I only put 9 seeds in with a 1/2oz of coriander and it overwhelmed it.. That was a 5gal batch of wit..
Not that coriander is hard to overwhelm. I usually use 1oz of coriander per 5 gal and the flavor is very trace even when its the only spice being used.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
SkinPig

Recipes 

Feb 2012
St. Paul, Minnesota
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'll post my recipe and results when I get everything finalized!
- English Barleywine

Old 05-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
strongarm
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Laguna Beach, CA
Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

I used cardomom powder, can't remember what color in my pumpkin ale. I think it was a teaspoon for 5g batch and I didn't think it was overpowering but there were alot of other spices in there as well.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
Lazersgopewpew
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you'll notice, the majority of the posts on this forum involving cardamom also usually contain the words "too much" lol.
Take it from someone who knows, a little goes a long way.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #8
Nomad

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Cleveland, OH
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Smash it. My wife and I use the green in chai all the time. It has a soft, calm flavor, so I think you'll want to be careful on your carbonation levels. Too spritzy will really clash. Also, consider balancing that flavor with spicy hops. Just my thoughts. I hate the flavor of cinnamon in beer though, so I don't know if I can be trusted. Ha.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
Calichusetts

Recipes 

Nov 2011
Plymouth, MA
Liked 500 Times on 300 Posts

Got a Noble BoPils with it dry hopping right now...and everyone is spot on, VERY strong aroma. I threw a few other spices in as well to help balance it...I hope. I'm guessing the lagering gave it time to mellow as well.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
bobbrews
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Sierra, Nevada
Liked 440 Times on 351 Posts

Green cardamom, along with vanilla and saffron, is among the most expensive spices on Earth. It's very high quality when bought whole, ground fresh and used within a year. For use in beer, I would lightly toast the seeds then crack them coarsely with a rolling pin. Boil the spice in the wort during the last 5 minutes. You'll recognize it immediately as the signature aroma/flavor of Chai Tea. Other compatible spices include: cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, clove, ginger, brown sugar.

IronRamekin Likes This