Natural Carb keg while I wait for temp controller? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Natural Carb keg while I wait for temp controller?

Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
rifraf's Avatar
Jan 2012
Chicagoish, Illinois
Posts: 1,961
Liked 197 Times on 150 Posts

Hey all, I'm getting a chest freezer this week but my temp controller isn't due to arrive until early to mid June. I'm thinking about kegging a beer I have next weekend with priming sugar. Should be about two to three weeks before the keezer is operational after that. Would I just set to serving pressure when the keezer is ready to go?
Originally Posted by SittingDuck
Even ales take too long. I need something I can ferment during the boil and drink from the kettle!
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Apr 2011
Franklin, MA
Posts: 206
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yup. I naturally carb all of my kegs. I think the extra three weeks (or more) that I let them sit really helps the beer condition much better than force carbing. The added bonus is that you save a lot of CO2 and have to fill up much less often.

Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
Jan 2009
Posts: 1,556
Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts

Yup. Depending on your lines you may or may not need to bleed a little excess pressure after it's cold. I occasionally naturally carb kegs of all sizes. With cornies, make sure it's holding pressure. With some of mine I will have to blast it with 30psi to seal the lid real well, then bleed most of the pressure and let it carbonate. Otherwise, I would lose all the gas and 3 weeks of time.

Reply With Quote
Thread Tools

Forum Jump