Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Want to install a valve on my kettle

Old 05-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Bisco_Ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Want to install a valve on my kettle

I have a kettle that I use for my 10 gallon batches and it is roughly 12 gallons. I have in the past sanitized a pitcher and transferred the wort that way but it is as you can imagine a pain in the ass and life would be much better if I could easily install a valve/spigot on this thing. What would you guys say is the easiest and most cost-effective way to go about getting a hole drilled and valve system set-up?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You will need a ball valve kit, try brewershardware.com. And a step bit and electric drill. Search the site here, there are loads of posts about it. The ball valve kit is maybe $20, another $20 for the step bit, unless you can borrow one. WELL worth the effort.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Or bargainfittings.com. He has some nice bulkhead kits and $5 flat-rate shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Is a step-bit drill something that an ordinary carpenter would have? Getting the hole in there is my biggest concern and I would like to not have to spend money on a part that I may never necessarily use again.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bargainfittings.com!!! That's the site I meant.

Yeah, a carpenter might have one. Is your kettle aluminum or stainless? The following method can be used on either, but in stainless you'll have to be very patient. You'll still need a Dremel with a stainless routing bit though. Mark where the hole should be, drill a pilot hole with a regular bit, then VERY carefully use the Dremel to cut out the hole.

A metalworker/welder might have a step bit, not likely for a carpenter. Auto body shop maybe.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
barryfine
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Bargainfittings.com also sells a step drill bit for $15 that works great. I just built a keggle using all parts from that site and I'm very happy with the results.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
JoshuaW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
You will need a ball valve kit, try brewershardware.com. And a step bit and electric drill. Search the site here, there are loads of posts about it. The ball valve kit is maybe $20, another $20 for the step bit, unless you can borrow one. WELL worth the effort.
Yup, BobbyM is the way to go! I am very happy with my valve and sight glass (you should add a sight glass as well!). You can snag a step bit at Lowes for $15 or so, and you could probably return it... I wouldn't recommend that though, you will find another use for it.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
barryfine
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaW View Post
Yup, BobbyM is the way to go! I am very happy with my valve and sight glass (you should add a sight glass as well!). You can snag a step bit at Lowes for $15 or so, and you could probably return it... I wouldn't recommend that though, you will find another use for it.
Bobby's site is actually http://www.brewhardware.com/. He has lots of great stuff and some great tutorials as well. When I'm ready to upgrade I'm definitely picking up his thermometer/sight glass combo.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
BrokenArmBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaW

Boo on that advise! Buy it and keep it...screw that mentality of buy, use and return. I am an employee and share holder....not cool man. Not cool.

Ok, now that I got that off my chest, Sorry for the rant, and +1 for mentioning Lowe's and not the dirty Depot!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Br...06422039446902

Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
rweeks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfine
Bargainfittings.com also sells a step drill bit for $15 that works great. I just built a keggle using all parts from that site and I'm very happy with the results.
I bought a cheapo from Harbor Freight that has drilled a mess of holes in my keggles.