Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > BlackBerry Honey

Old 05-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
honey11badger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'd imagine you could make a pretty decent Hypocras (Wine+Honey) with the blackberry honey.

There's also the herbal route: Try making it with some black tea, or star anise... anything that can add to the complexity

Maybe not adding berries, but adding some other elements that mix/pair very well with the blackberryness.
...and since apparently credentials are required to give suggestions, I'm but a lowly novice, I've only brewed 5 times, so my advice isn't from experience take it with a grain of salt

Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #12
tonyandkory
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

By all means keep on with the info. The bashing was a little uncalled for but sometimes heated conversations are where a lot of info and opinion comes out, so please if there is anything else you all can impart it would be good. And remember opinions are exactly that Opinions.

I know in wine making you can add bananas to add body without adding banana flavor.does the same hold true with mead?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
MasterJeem
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

is this 4chan or a mead forum?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #14
honey11badger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandkory View Post
By all means keep on with the info. The bashing was a little uncalled for but sometimes heated conversations are where a lot of info and opinion comes out, so please if there is anything else you all can impart it would be good. And remember opinions are exactly that Opinions.

I know in wine making you can add bananas to add body without adding banana flavor.does the same hold true with mead?
As long as you maintain it underneath the threshold you can use fruits to alter the mouthfeel/body (I'm currently planning on using about 8 lbs of peaches in a 5 gallon brew of Brochet once I hit the secondary, its also a nice way of adding to the longevity of the brew and altering the PH)

Old 05-15-2012, 01:20 AM   #15
TheShadowfox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandkory

You can indeed do that. I have not done it before, but I know it is easy to add too much and the banana flavor will dominate everything else. Do a little research before adding it to see how much you will need for your size batch to achieve a good balance.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
tonyandkory
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I read something along the way in the past couple days that some people boil their honey.
Something about scum.
I am assuming something floats to the top and foams? what is it? is it bad? is it necessary or is it just a preference?
I did not do this on my first batch of mead and it turned out okay even though I can't drink it yet due to it being too high in alcohol.

I am probably going to do this

12 pounds/1gallon black berry honey
5 pounds sugar
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1.5 tsp acid blend
red star Cote des Blancs or red star Montrachet (both have low ABV tolerances of about 13%)
this should bring the SG to 1.110
5 gallons water

Ferment to 1.020 rack to second primary bucket on to 3 pounds blackberries
Let the ferment finish
Then off to carboy for clearing and aging.

I am thinking that this will make an off dry mead with a hint of blackberries without overpowering the honey.

Thank you for all your input so far BTW!

Old 05-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
TheBrewingMedic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

the "scum" is left over particulate from harvesting the honey.., wax, bee parts, etc. as well as proteins and such that break due to the heat, it used to be a more common practice but since the equipment and methods of gathering honey in modern times have improved greatly it's really not necessary. It's definitely not needed to sanitize or sterilize the honey as it's naturally antimicrobial all on its own.

What's the 5 pounds of sugar for? just another fermentable?

are you adding water to bring it up to 5 gallons or adding 5 to get you to 6 gallons?

was just inputting the numbers in the gotmead calculator, 5 gal total volume it estimated an OG of 1.131 and 6 gallons at 1.108 (pretty close to your est.)

Cote de blancs and montrchet may both finish out before you get to 1.02 their lower alcohol tolerance make them good to finish a mid to higher gravity sweet or a low (1.07-1.08 OG) medium sweet.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
tonyandkory
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ya I am on the visitors side dugout on the SO2/sorbate playing field, not adding any additional SO2/sorbate to any of our wines unless I have to back sweeten. (usually only with kits that have f-packs in wine)

so what I am shooting for is for the yeast to putter out 1.110 should get me close to 13.5%-14% with a little sweet left over. but maybe my calculations are off.

the extra sugar is because I don't have any more honey... think maybe I could/should use a weak flavored honey with it instead?
I didn't figure the addition of sugar would matter to the end product and its easier than trying to get another 7.5 pounds of honey.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Seems a shame to take a nice honey to then add plain sugar too it, if you dont have enough honey I would just make a smaller batch...

Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #20
TheBrewingMedic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not sure if it'll effect the overall flavor in the end, may make the ferment a little slower as table sugar is a disacharide (sucrose) and the sugars in honey are prediminantly monosacharides (fructose, glucose...) which the yeast can devour and break down more easily. Which is why a mead can ferment quicker than some homebrewed wines that rely heavily on table sugar for a fermentable.