Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Milk Stout w/o the Milk?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
exbeerimenter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Milk Stout w/o the Milk?

Inspired by Left Hand Brewing Co's Milk Stout, I'd like to try to brew my own version of a milk stout.

However, since my girlfriend cannot drink milk that contains lactose, I wanted to try to make something she could enjoy that would be close in taste and mouth feel. It possible to brew anything close to a milk stout, without adding milk with lactose. Are there any worthy substitutes?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 05-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
NineMilBill
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Actual milk is not used in Milk Stout. Lactose is a non-fermentable sugar - basically you add it to your brew to make the brew sweet. The yeast cannot eat lactose. If she can't have lactose in general, use another non-fermentable sugar.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Slainte-brew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lactose is the sugar from milk that is added to beers. Lactose is just a non fermentable sugar, I don't find it super sweet. Maybe try a oatmeal stout with some maltodexterin and vanilla. You need something that wont ferment out. Things like sugar, honey, etc will completly ferment out and give the beer a dryer finish. There are things like splenda that people will backsweeten with, but it is usually for fruit beers, ciders or wines.
King of Cascade Likes This 
Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
exbeerimenter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

NineMilBill: Thanks, I was a bit confused. I envisioned myself actually adding milk to the fermenter. But really, the lactose is only meant for sweetening because it's not fermentable? I will look into other non-fermentable sugar sources. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Slainte-brew: I really like your idea for the oatmeal stout...I'll have to try that at some point.