This beer is really fantastic. This is the 3rd time I've brewed it, tweaking it each time, and I think I've found the sweet spot with this one. The previous version was entered in the Shamrock Open by the CARBOY club a couple months ago. It didn't place, but got a respectable score of 38. This version is even better, and age will do it wonders. It's heavy on the bourbon, but I like it that way.
Batch size: 5.00 gallons
Boil size: 3.75 gallons
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)
0.75 lb Special B Malt (120.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Warrior [19.70 %] (60 min) 67.6 IBU
2.00 oz Willamette [4.90 %] (10 min) 6.1 IBU
2.00 oz Oak Chips, Whiskey Soaked (Secondary 14.0 days)
11-12oz Maker's Mark Bourbon (Secondary 14.0 days)
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
12 quarts of mash water at 154F for 1 hour (perhaps a degree or two higher if you're doing all-grain since DME is less fermentable). Sparge 170F.
While fermenting in primary, I took 2oz of Jack Daniel's Smoking Chips (read more about them here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/usin...rience-211857/
) and soaked them in 12oz of Maker's Mark Whisky. When transferring to secondary, toss in all of the bourbon and oak. I would say add all 12oz, but I wanted a sip of the extra-oaked whisky, so I really added slightly less than 12oz. Have it sit on the oak for 2 weeks, so if you need to transfer it again, do that.
This beer has plenty of roasted taste, oak slips in really nicely and mellows with time, and the bourbon gives it a really lovely smooth vanilla taste. Keep the fermentation temperature down, and it stays smooth, even when it's fairly fresh which is great for 10.5% ABV (the whisky adds just over 0.5%).
This can easily be converted to all grain, just replace the DME with pale malt to match the OG. I would probably boil for 90 minutes though, because I added the DME at the beginning of the boil in the partial mash version.
Here are some pictures (Not the most artistic, but they get the point across):